Hey again guys and gals, I got so many emails after the original XP Tweaking Guide that I decided I might as well write a second one, as there's quite a few tweaks that have been discovered since the first article. As with the first article, we'll start off small and gradually get into the good stuff :).
Now, before you read this article, you should make sure you've set up a couple of things that we did in the last article. If you've forgotten, just read the 'Before We Begin' section on the first page of the original XP Tweaking guide.
Windows XP Security Flaw - Don't Pick It Up!
A major security flaw was discovered recently in the Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) feature for Microsoft Windows XP. Basically, the flaw allowed an attacker to send bogus 'buffer over-run' packets to a computer and actually manage to gain full control of a system. Microsoft quickly released a patch for this, and has urged all XP users to run it. Also, as it is possible to use this method of attack on computers running Windows 98 or ME with the XP Internet Connection Sharing Client installed, Microsoft has provided patches for these operating systems as well. I strongly recommend you apply the appropriate patch, and keep your computer safe.
Microsoft XP (Home & Pro Edition) - UPnP Patch - Download Here
Microsoft Millenium Edition - UPnP Patch - Download Here
Microsoft 98/98SE - UPnP Patch - Download Here
If you want more information about the patches or want technical details about the flaw, check out Microsoft's Official Bulletin Notice right here.
Now that we've got that important matter out of the way, let's start tweaking!
How much to upgrade to x64 Edition?
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, a very slick mobo for Ryzen
- AMD Ryzen 5 1600X costs $260, offers Intel perf. at $617
- Early Nintendo Switch consoles were actually stolen
- Why Nier: Automata isn't coming to Xbox One
- Grand Theft Auto movie or TV show could happen
- Asus PRIME B250-PLUS Integated Graphics issue
- Looking for help overclocking a GA-EP43-UD3L
- I5 6600k OC settings.. aorus z270
- ASUS K55VM (LAPTOP A55VM) can't control fan speed for myself
- First ever CPU overclock - is this ok?
- ASUS announces VivoMini VC66R and VC66
- BIOSTAR RACING Series motherboard lineup for AMD RYZEN announced
- Team Group officially announces the T-FORCE DARK series memory module with ASUS ROG Certified
- MSI announces Aero ITX series graphics cards
- ASUS Republic of Gamers announces Strix Impact