Hey again guys and gals, I got so many emails after the original XP Tweaking Guide that I decided I might as well write a second one, as there's quite a few tweaks that have been discovered since the first article. As with the first article, we'll start off small and gradually get into the good stuff :).
Now, before you read this article, you should make sure you've set up a couple of things that we did in the last article. If you've forgotten, just read the 'Before We Begin' section on the first page of the original XP Tweaking guide.
Windows XP Security Flaw - Don't Pick It Up!
A major security flaw was discovered recently in the Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) feature for Microsoft Windows XP. Basically, the flaw allowed an attacker to send bogus 'buffer over-run' packets to a computer and actually manage to gain full control of a system. Microsoft quickly released a patch for this, and has urged all XP users to run it. Also, as it is possible to use this method of attack on computers running Windows 98 or ME with the XP Internet Connection Sharing Client installed, Microsoft has provided patches for these operating systems as well. I strongly recommend you apply the appropriate patch, and keep your computer safe.
Microsoft XP (Home & Pro Edition) - UPnP Patch - Download Here
Microsoft Millenium Edition - UPnP Patch - Download Here
Microsoft 98/98SE - UPnP Patch - Download Here
If you want more information about the patches or want technical details about the flaw, check out Microsoft's Official Bulletin Notice right here.
Now that we've got that important matter out of the way, let's start tweaking!
How much to upgrade to x64 Edition?
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ARK cross-platform play on PS4 and PC BLOCKED by Sony
- Microsoft builds its own AI hardware: Project Brainwave
- HP Omen X gaming notebook: GTX 1080, 120Hz LCD, more
- Final Fantasy XV doesn't need 170GB HDD space on PC
- Bungie couldn't get Destiny 2 to hit 60FPS on consoles
- Killer Networking - Killer control center new version (Z97X Gaming 5)
- GIGABYTE X399 AORUS Gaming 7 TR4 Motherboard Review
- Linksys WRT32x AC3200 Wireless Gaming Router Review
- Massive drop in temps by lowering "VCCPLL OC" in BIOS: Is the reported temperature correct?
- Intel details 8th Generation Core CPUs with Kaby Lake-R
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower
- Longsys' world-first 11.5x13mm NVMe BGA SSD drives new mobile user experience