Hey again guys and gals, I got so many emails after the original XP Tweaking Guide that I decided I might as well write a second one, as there's quite a few tweaks that have been discovered since the first article. As with the first article, we'll start off small and gradually get into the good stuff :).
Now, before you read this article, you should make sure you've set up a couple of things that we did in the last article. If you've forgotten, just read the 'Before We Begin' section on the first page of the original XP Tweaking guide.
Windows XP Security Flaw - Don't Pick It Up!
A major security flaw was discovered recently in the Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) feature for Microsoft Windows XP. Basically, the flaw allowed an attacker to send bogus 'buffer over-run' packets to a computer and actually manage to gain full control of a system. Microsoft quickly released a patch for this, and has urged all XP users to run it. Also, as it is possible to use this method of attack on computers running Windows 98 or ME with the XP Internet Connection Sharing Client installed, Microsoft has provided patches for these operating systems as well. I strongly recommend you apply the appropriate patch, and keep your computer safe.
Microsoft XP (Home & Pro Edition) - UPnP Patch - Download Here
Microsoft Millenium Edition - UPnP Patch - Download Here
Microsoft 98/98SE - UPnP Patch - Download Here
If you want more information about the patches or want technical details about the flaw, check out Microsoft's Official Bulletin Notice right here.
Now that we've got that important matter out of the way, let's start tweaking!
How much to upgrade to x64 Edition?
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The new Zelda game takes up nearly half Switch's storage
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 900p docked, 720p undocked
- Super Mario Odyseey hits 7 million views on YouTube
- Mass Effect: Andromeda will support HDR10, Dolby Vision
- GIGABYTE's Aorus brand is ready for next-gen GPUs
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- Can't Find PC-O10 Riser Kit
- Help overclocking x5460 / GA-EP43-UD3L past 3.99ghz
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99