Intro and Getting started
If you own a fairly recent Windows Mobile 5 device (let's say less than a year old or there abouts), then the chance that you'll be able to upgrade to Windows Mobile 6 is quite high. Today we're taking a closer look at how to upgrade the HTC Hermes, this also known as the TyTN. Although our device wasn't originally from HTC, it's currently running a HTC branded version of Windows Mobile 5. HTC announced that it is releasing updates for several of its Windows Mobile 5 devices during August 2007, with the TyTN being the first of the devices that got the new firmware.
HTC isn't the only device manufacturer to offer upgrades for its Windows Mobile 5 devices, and if you're a Dopod owner you'll find that HTC has actually purchased Dopod and offers the same upgrades for the Dopod devices. Asus also offer updates for several of its Windows Mobile 5 PDAs and we're expecting others to follow suit. If you own a network branded device, we suggest you contact your network operator and ask them if they'll offer an upgrade for the specific device.
However, if you're somewhat skilled with a computer you can find several versions of the HTC firmwares for branded devices, and it is very possible to upgrade these devices with a generic firmware from HTC. However, if you're considering going about it this way, we'd like to offer a few words of warning. First, you won't get any support from your device provider if something goes wrong. Secondly, you might lose some pre-installed applications. And lastly, you'll have to find the firmwares online and some of them are homemade concoctions which don't always work, so be careful and do some reading before you go ahead with this.
There's some preparation work that has to be done before you can proceed with the upgrade, just to make sure you backup all your data on the device. First of all, download and install ActiveSync 4.5 or you won't be able to sync your device once you've installed Windows Mobile 6. Next, do a full backup of any files on the device, as these will be wiped during the upgrade. Once this is done and you've downloaded the correct software version for your device, you're ready to go ahead with the upgrade.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Latest News Posts
- Spectacles are finally available for online purchase
- Moto G5 and G5 Plus specs leak ahead of the launch
- HTC's new One X10 teased, a new budget 5.5-inch phone
- Nintendo Switch may use 4GB LPDDR4 1600MHz RAM
- 'Never Go Back' with our 'Jack Reacher' Blu-ray giveaway
- Changing Device ID
- Z170M Pro4S underperforming RAM / UEFI bug
- PC may end up in a reboot cycle from cold boot.
- Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming G1 M.2 SSD Supported?
- Asus PRIME B250-PLUS Integated Graphics issue
- ASUS announces VivoMini VC66R and VC66
- BIOSTAR RACING Series motherboard lineup for AMD RYZEN announced
- Team Group officially announces the T-FORCE DARK series memory module with ASUS ROG Certified
- MSI announces Aero ITX series graphics cards
- ASUS Partners with WPGI womens Esports league