LGA115x - One Size Fits All
When Noctua announced availability of a new bracket our thoughts went back to the change from LGA775 to 1156. In the time since, we learned that LGA1150 for Haswell isn't much different than LGA1155. The only real change is to the processor Z-Height, Haswell is 0.04mm shorter, or roughly around the height of two hairs stacked on top of each other. The reduced height shouldn't affect most aftermarket CPU cooler installations at least those with spring pressure plates.
We're not sure if older Intel retail coolers for 1156 / 1155 will have an issue or not with the new z-height. We don't see any issues with making contact, but the shorter IHS will reduce pressure. Intel specs minimum pressure at 311 N [70 lbf] and maximum at 600 N [135 lbf]. Most of us don't have the equipment to measure ILM Static Compressive Load on the processor IHS, but it would make for a fun test in our heatsink reviews.
What this means is your Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge coolers should work fine with Haswell. Since this is a new product Haswell should have a more efficient IHS when compared to Ivy Bridge. Intel ran into a little issue with the processor core and the IHS. At one time it was reported the issue had to do with using thermal paste instead of soldering the core to the HIS, but later we learned a thermal paste had to be used because the core didn't make good contact with the metal top.
Hopefully Intel doesn't have the same problem when moving from Haswell to Broadwell, but we won't know for a couple years.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Facebook rolls out Halloween themed masks in Live videos
- Just in time for Halloween: NASA discovers pumpkin stars
- Facebook turns reactions into Halloween themed symbols
- New Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter game out now
- NASA provides further details of the ESA's lander crash
- Booting Ubuntu from USB on Asus.
- Booting Problem
- AsRock 4Core1600P35-WiFi+ DDR3 no POST.
- CPU Cooler Testing and Methodology (October 2016)
- AMD announces Radeon Pro 400 Series graphics processors
- G.Skill announces the RIPJAWS KM570 MX mechanical keyboard
- iBuyPower announces the Slate gaming desktop
- Fujitsu and Lenovo to explore global strategic PC cooperation
- Toshiba's SAS SSDs provide secure storage for NetApp FAS and E-Series arrays for enterprise applications