LGA115x - One Size Fits All
When Noctua announced availability of a new bracket our thoughts went back to the change from LGA775 to 1156. In the time since, we learned that LGA1150 for Haswell isn't much different than LGA1155. The only real change is to the processor Z-Height, Haswell is 0.04mm shorter, or roughly around the height of two hairs stacked on top of each other. The reduced height shouldn't affect most aftermarket CPU cooler installations at least those with spring pressure plates.
We're not sure if older Intel retail coolers for 1156 / 1155 will have an issue or not with the new z-height. We don't see any issues with making contact, but the shorter IHS will reduce pressure. Intel specs minimum pressure at 311 N [70 lbf] and maximum at 600 N [135 lbf]. Most of us don't have the equipment to measure ILM Static Compressive Load on the processor IHS, but it would make for a fun test in our heatsink reviews.
What this means is your Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge coolers should work fine with Haswell. Since this is a new product Haswell should have a more efficient IHS when compared to Ivy Bridge. Intel ran into a little issue with the processor core and the IHS. At one time it was reported the issue had to do with using thermal paste instead of soldering the core to the HIS, but later we learned a thermal paste had to be used because the core didn't make good contact with the metal top.
Hopefully Intel doesn't have the same problem when moving from Haswell to Broadwell, but we won't know for a couple years.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Das Keyboard takes $20 off keyboards, $0 shipping for holiday sales
- Remedy has finished the 'shivering' end scene in Quantum Break
- Razer injects chromatic flavor into Lenovo's new gaming PC lineup
- NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 900 series price drops for the holidays
- Rumor: Sony unlocks PS4's seventh core to boost performance
- NEed help setting bios
- Sharp GX-BT7 2.1-Channel Wireless Bluetooth Speaker Review
- D-Link DCS-2630L 1080p Ultra-Wide View IP Wi-Fi Camera Review
- ID-Cooling Frostflow 240L CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- Lexar JumpDrive M20i 32GB OTG iOS Flash Drive Review
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis