LGA115x - One Size Fits All
When Noctua announced availability of a new bracket our thoughts went back to the change from LGA775 to 1156. In the time since, we learned that LGA1150 for Haswell isn't much different than LGA1155. The only real change is to the processor Z-Height, Haswell is 0.04mm shorter, or roughly around the height of two hairs stacked on top of each other. The reduced height shouldn't affect most aftermarket CPU cooler installations at least those with spring pressure plates.
We're not sure if older Intel retail coolers for 1156 / 1155 will have an issue or not with the new z-height. We don't see any issues with making contact, but the shorter IHS will reduce pressure. Intel specs minimum pressure at 311 N [70 lbf] and maximum at 600 N [135 lbf]. Most of us don't have the equipment to measure ILM Static Compressive Load on the processor IHS, but it would make for a fun test in our heatsink reviews.
What this means is your Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge coolers should work fine with Haswell. Since this is a new product Haswell should have a more efficient IHS when compared to Ivy Bridge. Intel ran into a little issue with the processor core and the IHS. At one time it was reported the issue had to do with using thermal paste instead of soldering the core to the HIS, but later we learned a thermal paste had to be used because the core didn't make good contact with the metal top.
Hopefully Intel doesn't have the same problem when moving from Haswell to Broadwell, but we won't know for a couple years.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- AMD reduces price on Radeon R9 Fury X, Fury and Nano - Fury X now $589
- Star Trek DS9 Blu-ray campaign warps into view
- Humai wants to transfer your consciousness to an artificial body
- New chip could charge your phone in 10 minutes, Samsung interested
- 2nd-gen MSI ECO series motherboards debut
- Lexar JumpDrive M20i 32GB OTG iOS Flash Drive Review
- Gibabyte GA-Z170X- Gaming 7 Supported RAM (2 x16Gb or 4 x 8GB) ?
- heya! PC-A10 case parts?
- Enermax ETS-T40fit CPU Coolers Review
- Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation 1TB Review
- Eurocom offers $500 USD off Black Friday & Cyber Monday deal for EUROCOM Sky X9 Desktop Laptop with Intel Skylake desktop class CPUs and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Desktop GPU and 64 GB DDR4 memory
- MSI @ DREAMHACK WINTER 2015
- ADATA Releases the Lightning Card Reader
- MSI Announces ECO Series Socket LGA1151 Motherboards
- Mionix Announces New-generation SARGAS Mousepad Family