HD Tune Pro
HD Tune is a Hard Disk utility which has the following functions:
Benchmark: measures the performance
Info: shows detailed information
Health: checks the health status by using SMART
Error Scan: scans the surface for errors
HD Tune Pro gives us accurate read, write and access time results and for the last couple of years has been gaining popularity amongst reviewers. It is now considered a must have application for storage device testing.
A Note from The Author: The industry accepted standard for testing HDD/SSDs in HD Tune Pro is with a (default) 64MB block size. Most end users who test with HD Tune at home don't realize there is an option to change the block size; even fewer understand what it does to performance.
A review of the Crucial m4 was published days ago that displayed read speeds in this test well over 500MB/s. We feel this was an inaccurate result. We don't take issue with performing the test differently than what is considered the standard; we take issue with the author not indicating that the test was performed outside of what is considered the standard.
TweakTown goes to great lengths to ensure all products are tested in a uniform manner using methods available to our readers. It troubles us that the new trend in professional reviews is akin to shock jock radio tactics and tests used to determine a products value without documenting the perimeters in which a test in conducted. I say trend since others are now using performance traces without releasing their trace files.
The OCZ Vertex 3 has an impressive lead over the Crucial m4 in ATTO and claimed read / write performance, but in sustained reads across the drive the Crucial m4 outperforms the Vertex 3. The Crucial m4 delivers very tight minimum to maximum speeds, some of the best we've seen to date.
The new Marvell controller used in the Crucial M4 is at a disadvantage to the cacheless SandForce SF-2200 controlled Vertex 3 out of the box. Here we see more than a 100MB/s difference between the two in average write speed across the drive.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Crucial m4 256GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Gigabyte GA-x79-UP4 rev1.0
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance
- Thermaltake and First Green Partner Aria PC Technology Join to Promote the Smart Power Management (SPM) Platform