Today we are focusing on the OCZ Technology Vertex 3 based on the SF-2200 controller. Also today SandForce is releasing information on a new, low cost SF-2100 controller. We will cover the SF-2200 and SF-2100 launch tomorrow and get into all of the details, but today we are focusing on the Vertex 3.
The OCZ Technology Vertex 3 is an all around stunner. Either way we look at it, an ultra high performance SSD or a reasonable priced SSD, we are just shocked from both sides. Let's look at the performance first. The Vertex 3 is the highest performing SSD we've ever tested; this even includes some of the benchmark results obtained while running RAID 0. The drive just takes off and doesn't let up. At this point I'm not sure if it's a small evolutionary step or a giant revolutionary step forward. Over the next couple of months I will try to figure that one out and you can guarantee more articles will come before the retail launch.
History is the window to the future. When the Vertex 2 was launched we were talking about 400+ Dollar 100GB drives. These were later moved to 120GB and the cost quickly went down to 350 USD. Before the move to 25nm a 120GB Vertex 2 sold for just over 200 USD and right at 200 USD when on sale. That is a pretty large drop in cost and it took place in less than a year. The 120GB Vertex 3 has an MSRP of 249.99 USD; well, that is the plan.
We know Newegg and other e-tailers raise prices when their supplies are limited and at launch. No matter how many OCZ puts in the market, availability will be limited. If the starting price is 249.99 at the launch, then these drives will sell like crazy. Once the initial offering goes out and stock starts to increase, prices will more than likely start coming down just like with Vertex 2. I don't really see how prices can get much lower, but they will because they always do.
If this was an actual review of the final retail product the OCZ Vertex 3 would be receiving an Editor's Choice Award. I'm tempted to do so now even without a box, 3.5" desktop adapter, SATA 6G cable or anything else OCZ might bundle with the drive. The Vertex 3 is as fast as it gets and even before the launch SandForce's first SATA 6G product gets very close to the limits of SATA 6G. We don't give out final ratings or performance awards for preview releases, but if we did the OCZ Technology Vertex 3 would the highest rating.
Be sure to check back tomorrow for all of the SandForce SF-2100 and SF-2200 details that explain why the Vertex 3 is so fast.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The OCZ Technology Vertex 3]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Everest Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Crystal Disk Mark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- ARCHOS unveils its Diamond Tab 4G/LTE tablet
- Impressive! 1 billion people used Facebook in just one day
- Valve is bundling Rocket League with the Steam Controller
- Acer is welcoming a takeover of the company after share prices tumble
- HTC will have a 'limited number' of Vive VR headsets this year
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20