NVIDIA is just killing it these days with SLI performance. It was only a few years ago that SLI was giving issues to the point with some games seeing performance go backwards. Today 90%+ performance gains over a single card are present since they've gotten the drivers running so well.
What has also made SLI so important is that it's a requirement for Surround Gaming. While a con compared to ATI's Eyefinity setup, the SLI setup means we don't have to have a DisplayPort monitor or need a DisplayPort Active Adapter. You combine this with the fact that SLI scaling is so good Surround Vision could well be the gamer's choice for multi monitor gaming.
Overall the GTX 460 in SLI is just amazing; the performance is huge but NVIDIA have done to the GTX 480 what they did to the GTX 465 and GTX 470 with this model. They may have shot themselves in the foot as the GTX 460 in SLI shouldn't be cheaper than a single GTX 480 while at the same time faster. We're talking around 20% cheaper.
You combine this with the fact that a single GTX 480 can't run a three monitor setup and the GTX 480 begins to look worse and worse every day. We've said before that this is where the money is and NVIDIA are just killing it in the mid range sector. I'm not going to call the GTX 480 a failure because it's not; it's the fastest single GPU video card on the market. However, I think that it's safe to say the model didn't scare ATI one bit. Yes it was faster, but it was also more expensive.
Looking look at the HD 5870, the price is slightly under that of this setup we're looking at today. Now I'm comparing the cheapest HD 5870 to more expensive GTX 460s but let's give ATI this one. For less than 10% more this setup demolishes the HD 5870. You can run three monitors off the one ATI card, but who cares? SLI might be a requirement for Surround Gaming but you've got it here.
NVIDIA has just come in on ATI's blind side, and now they can't afford to wait long before releasing new models. The last thing ATI needs is their 9 months of success to be used to fund the next 9 months of failure.
NVIDIA has brought it! The GTX 480 and HD 5870 went 10 rounds and they both scored the same as one was better value and the other was faster. The GTX 460 has come in and knocked out a number of ATI models in the 5th round, and today the GTX 460 brought its twin brother and knocked out ATI in the first 30 seconds. It's on!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [MSI GTX 460 768MB Cyclone in SLI]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - BattleForge]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dark Void]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Badaboom]
- Page 16 [Temperature Test]
- Page 17 [Sound Test]
- Page 18 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 19 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 20 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 21 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Ubisoft's latest 'The Breach' trailer for Rainbow Six: Siege
- Quentin Tarantino explains his love for 70mm, says it trumps digital
- Man gets shot, instead of calling the cops, he grabs an Uber home
- New Fallout 4 mod dramatically overhauls in-game landscapes
- Apple rumored to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack from the next iPhone
- "Cheap" 4K Rig
- wifi card for gigabyte x99m gaming 5 microatx
- Newly built PC won't boot
- Spectre (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- New ASUS Notebook: Event Log flooding with Event ID 17 warnings from WHEA-Logger
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis