WD's New My Book® Mirror Edition External Hard Drive Provides The Safest Place For Valuable Personal Content
Consumers can now easily configure out-of-the box RAID modes that Automatically and Continuously Duplicate Users' Data
Sydney Australia - July 09, 2008 - WD® today introduced its new My Book® Mirror Edition dual-drive storage systems, which can automatically store valuable personal content not once, but twice, to maximize data safety. This RAID-based continuous data protection feature, called mirroring, makes WD's My Book Mirror Edition storage systems the safest place for storing irreplaceable data.
Personal collections of digital content, such as photos, music, and videos, continue to grow on desktop and notebook computers around the world. Consumers are increasingly aware that taking precautions to protect their data is vital and are looking for a simple solution.
When users store their personal content on a My Book Mirror Edition system, their valuable data is automatically mirrored for extra protection - making it easy and economical to benefit from the data redundancy typically found in corporate data centers. This mirroring technology makes the new dual-drive systems an ideal storage solution for photographers, home users and small offices and anyone looking for extra assurance that their data is safe.
Consumers can also use the My Book Mirror Edition storage system and the included backup software to automatically and continuously back up their personal computers. The mirroring feature provides users the added assurance of a redundant backup of their data.
Jim Welsh, vice president and general manager of branded products and consumer electronics groups for WD, said, "Personal and business content are extremely valuable - both emotionally and financially. Our new My Book Mirror system helps users sleep easy, knowing that their data is safe."
Formatted for Windows® computers, these new storage systems feature:
- USB 2.0 interface for flexibility and convenience;
- Configured out-of-the box in RAID 1 (Mirrored) mode [RAID 0 (Striped) configurable];
- Available in capacities of up to 1 TB and 2 TB, the My Book Mirror Edition storage systems ship in Mirrored mode and use half the capacity for file redundancy;
- Cool, eco-friendly operation with GreenPower drives that consume approximately one-third less power than standard dual-drive external storage systems and efficient convection cooling architecture and power-saving mode;
- Designed without a fan for whisper-quiet operation in a home or office environment;
- Automatic and continuous backup software that allows users to simultaneously save a change and have it backed up on the second drive for the ultimate in data protection;
- User serviceability(1), enabling owner to open the enclosure and replace the drives inside;
- Capacity gauge to see at a glance how much space is available on the system;
- Intelligent drive management features, including automatic power-up, Safe Shutdown and LED status and activity lights; and,
- 3-year limited warranty.
RAID 1 (Mirrored)
Using RAID mirroring technology, this system automatically and continuously duplicates your data for the ultimate in data protection. If one drive in this two-drive system ever fails, the My Book Mirror Edition system continues to run and your data is safe. The My Book Mirror Edition storage systems ship in Mirrored mode and use half the capacity for file redundancy.
RAID 0 (Striped)
Users can choose to use the full(2) capacity of this system by reconfiguring the drive to RAID 0 (Striped) mode. With RAID 0, users can have up to 2 TB of storage in an elegant, small footprint design that offers plenty of room to store an entire digital photo library and hundreds of hours of HD movies or digital video (results will vary based on file size and format, settings, features, software and other factors).
Cooler, quieter, eco-friendlier
Designed to use only WD's GreenPower drives, this system, with its efficient convection cooling architecture, fan-less design, and power saving mode, consumes up to 33 percent less power than standard systems, is reliably cool, and remarkably quiet.
Back It Up
Backing up data is no longer the chore that it once was. In an effort to educate and build awareness among consumers about how to best protect their precious memories and important files, WD has put together some tips and tricks to make it easier than ever to back up data. Visit https://www.backituponwd.com to learn more.
Manufacturer: Western Digital
Product Name: My Book Mirror Edition
RRP for 1TB: A$349 , NZ$389
RRP for 2TB: A$ 699 , NZ$769
Warranty: 3-year limited warranty
Product link and Photos: https://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=466
Australian Distributors: Simms International, Synnex Australia, TodayTech
New Zealand Distributors: Ingram Micro NZ
WD, one of the storage industry's pioneers and long-time leaders, provides products and services for people and organizations that collect, manage and use digital information. The company produces reliable, high-performance hard drives that keep users' data accessible and secure from loss. WD applies its storage expertise to consumer products for external, portable and shared storage applications.
WD was founded in 1970. The company's storage products are marketed to leading systems manufacturers, selected resellers and retailers under the Western Digital and WD brand names. Visit the Investor section of the company's Web site (https://www.westerndigital.com) to access a variety of financial and investor information.
(1) See instructions for details.
(2) System can be reconfigured to RAID 0 (Striped) to utilize the full capacity for data storage and eliminate the extra data protection offered in RAID 1 (Mirrored) setting.
Latest News Posts
- PlayStation 5 coming in 2020, analyst predicts
- Papers Please short film highlights rigors of Arstotzka
- GPUz v2.8.0 released, lots of goodies as usual
- Warcraft III updated, includes 16:9 support and HEAPS MORE
- NVIDIA to launch new GeForce GTX series during GTC 2018
- Dell Inspiron 13 7000 2-in-1 (8th Gen Core) Laptop Review
- Fujitsu-Siemens BIOS - LGA 771 to 775 microcode
- GIGABYTE Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- Enermax T.B. RGB, RGB Lighting 3 Fan Pack Review
- GIGABYTE Z370 Aorus Gaming K3 (Intel Z370) Motherboard
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit