Silicon Motion Technology Corporation (NasdaqGS: SIMO) ("Silicon Motion"), a global leader in designing and marketing NAND flash controllers for solid state storage devices, announced today the release of the world's first turnkey merchant SATA SSD controller solution supporting 3D NAND from multiple vendors. The enhanced controller solution will accelerate the adoption of the most competitive high-performance SSDs in the market. Silicon Motion will be demonstrating 3D NAND-based SSDs using its updated SM2246EN controller solution during the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
The market for client SSDs is increasingly more competitive and the use of 3D NAND with turnkey controller solutions will quickly enable SSD OEMs to bring to market high-performance SSDs using the industry's most cost-effective 3D NAND. Silicon Motion is extending the capabilities of its industry-leading SM2246EN turnkey controller solution to now support 3D MLC NAND from multiple vendors. The SM2246EN now includes the addition of advanced 3D Power Loss Protection firmware technology - specifically designed to protect against sudden data loss in 3D NAND architectures - as well as the support of up to 2 terabytes capacity. The SM2246EN with 3D NAND support is available now to customers, and the company will introduce additional SSD controller solutions supporting 3D MLC and TLC NAND flash for SATA3 and PCIe SSDs in 2016, further improving performance and affordability for broader SSD adoption.
"SM2246EN is the world's leading merchant SATA 6Gb/s controller for client SSDs today," said Nelson Duann, Senior Vice President of Product Marketing at Silicon Motion. "The added support for 3D MLC NAND will usher in a new era of SSDs with uncompromising performance and affordability."
Shalley Chen, President of ADATA Technology Co., Ltd, shared a similar opinion. "Reliable turnkey solutions are the cornerstone for ADATA to efficiently and successfully utilize 3D NAND across all our key product platforms, including SSDs. These solutions offered by Silicon Motion are critical to our long-term success."
"3D NAND will drive faster adoption of client SSDs by consumers and corporate clients," said Nick Villalobos, Director of Global Marketing at Mushkin Inc., "We are excited to partner with Silicon Motion in deploying SM2246EN with 3D MLC NAND in our new SSD products."
Key features for SM2246EN with IMFT 3D MLC NAND solution:
- Ultra high sequential read performance of up to 540 MB/s and sequential write of up to 410 MB/s
- Delivers up to 80,000 random read IOPS and up to 75,000 random write IOPS
- Supports SSD densities up to two terabytes
- Supports ONFI 3.x, Toggle 2.0 and asynchronous NAND
- Proprietary, configurable ECC engine allows for consistent data throughput and performance throughout the entire SSD lifecycle
- Ideally suited for client SSDs targeting ultrabooks, laptops, tablets and HDD replacement
- Incorporates the latest security protocols and is AES 256, Trusted Computing Group (TCG) and Opal full-drive encryption compliant
- Supports both commercial (0 degree C to 70 degree C) and industrial grade (-40 degree C to 85 degree C) requirements.
For more information on Silicon Motion, please go to http://www.siliconmotion.com.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo Labo brings cardboard cut-outs to the gaming world
- Metal Gear Survive will feature microtransactions
- Surprise character hits Dragon Ball FighterZ before launch
- God of War: Stone Manson Edition unveiled
- Dark Souls Remastered won't support cross-platform
- noblechairs ICON Series Real Leather Gaming Chair Review
- GIGABYTE X299 Designare EX (Intel X299) Motherboard Review
- Realtek sound not working all of a sudden
- Intel Z370 Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- The Coffee Lake Overclocking Guide
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series