8K Random Write/Read
We precondition the drive for 16,000 seconds, or 4.44 hours, receiving performance data every second. We plot this data to observe the test subject's descent into steady-state. We plot both IOPS and Latency. We plot IOPS (represented by blue scatter) in thousands and Latency (represented by orange scatter) in milliseconds.
We observe steady-state for the 5100 MAX is reached at 8,000 seconds of preconditioning, settling in at about 42,000 IOPS. We observe steady-state for the 5100 ECO is reached at 11,000 seconds of preconditioning, settling in at about 14,500 IOPS.
8K random is a more demanding workload than 4K random. The 5100 MAX again delivers stunning results, delivering 43,137 IOPS at QD4. The 5100 ECO delivers the second-best result, delivering 14,729 IOPS at QD1. Even the powerful MLC-based SM863 is no match for the eTLC powered Micron 5100 SSDs when writing random data. Comparing the 5100 ECO to the TLC powered PM863 reveals that the 5100 ECO delivers nearly 50% better performance.
A pure 8K read workload takes its toll on the 5100 series SSDs. The Samsung offerings handily outperform both the 5100 MAX and 5100 ECO with this demanding workload. The MLC-powered M510DC manages to deliver better results than the 5100 MAX and 5100 EVO when reading 8K data. These results are testament to the write-centric nature of Micron's 5100 series SSDs.
Conclusion (TL;DR): Micron's 5100 series SSDs greatly favor write-centric workloads over read-centric workloads.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Intel working on next-gen Xeon with 32C/64T of power
- Xbox boss: first-party Project Scorpio games 'critical'
- Apple rumored to consider purchasing Disney
- In Win launches X-Frame 2.0, tou 2.0 Signature chassis
- Uber suspends self-driving car tech after Arizona crash
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- Gigabyte Aorus z270x Gaming 9 Motherboard Bios Code: bcc0
- New Mobo and my W10 Install?
- Just finished my PC-011 Build
- ASUS M51Vr Notebook. Long story.
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse