8K Random Write/Read
We precondition the drive for 16,000 seconds, or 4.44 hours, receiving performance data every second. We plot this data to observe the test subject's descent into steady-state. We plot both IOPS and Latency. We plot IOPS (represented by blue scatter) in thousands and Latency (represented by orange scatter) in milliseconds.
We observe steady-state for the 5100 MAX is reached at 8,000 seconds of preconditioning, settling in at about 42,000 IOPS. We observe steady-state for the 5100 ECO is reached at 11,000 seconds of preconditioning, settling in at about 14,500 IOPS.
8K random is a more demanding workload than 4K random. The 5100 MAX again delivers stunning results, delivering 43,137 IOPS at QD4. The 5100 ECO delivers the second-best result, delivering 14,729 IOPS at QD1. Even the powerful MLC-based SM863 is no match for the eTLC powered Micron 5100 SSDs when writing random data. Comparing the 5100 ECO to the TLC powered PM863 reveals that the 5100 ECO delivers nearly 50% better performance.
A pure 8K read workload takes its toll on the 5100 series SSDs. The Samsung offerings handily outperform both the 5100 MAX and 5100 ECO with this demanding workload. The MLC-powered M510DC manages to deliver better results than the 5100 MAX and 5100 EVO when reading 8K data. These results are testament to the write-centric nature of Micron's 5100 series SSDs.
Conclusion (TL;DR): Micron's 5100 series SSDs greatly favor write-centric workloads over read-centric workloads.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Huawei launches new nova 2 with dual rear camera
- Nintendo shares skyrocket to 8-year high
- Alienware Aurora reach reasonable price for Memorial Day
- GTA Online earns big for Take-Two
- Red Dead Redemption 2 built from scratch for consoles
- Asrock X99 Extreme11 reports only 48GB instead of 64 GB
- H270m Pro4 Can't boot with my SSD, stuck on splash
- Gigabyte z170 UD5: Question about Voltage Spikes/Offset
- ASRock AliveXFire-esata2 compatibility with Phenom II X4 980
- m4a88td-m/usb3 & Windows 10
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017