Anvil Storage Utilities
Version and / or Patch Used: RC6
So, what is Anvil Storage Utilities? Anvil Storage Utilities is a storage benchmark for SSDs and HDDs where you can check and monitor your performance. The Standard Storage Benchmark performs a series of tests; you can run a full test, or just the read or the write test, or you can run a single test, i.e. 4k QD16.
Anvil Storage Utilities is not officially available yet, but we've been playing with the beta for several months now. The author, Anvil, has been updating the software steadily on several international forums, and is adding new features every couple of months.
We can use Anvil several different ways to show different aspects for each drive. We've chosen to use this software to show the performance of a drive with two different data sets. The first is with compressible data, and the second data set is incompressible data. Several users have requested this data in our SSD reviews.
0-Fill Compressible Data
Phison controllers do perform differently with the data type. Compressible performance is much higher than incompressible performance, but not for the same reasons as SandForce controllers.
Low Queue Depth Read IOPS
*Notes a test with 64% incompressible data.
Using a mix of compressible and incompressible data to determine consumer workload performance, we see that the Silicon Power S60 240GB has a difficult time processing random read data in comparison to many of the other drives on the chart.
High Queue Depth Read IOPS
The random read IOPS only reach 43K. Silicon Power didn't rate this metric on their specifications sheet.
Low Queue Depth Write IOPS
High Queue Depth Write IOPS
Silicon Power specifies the S60 for up to 85K random write IOPS. As you can see here, the Phison S8 version of the S60 only makes it to 63K IOPS, and that comes at QD4.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications, Pricing, and Availability]
- Page 2 [Silicon Power S60 240GB SSD]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Initial Performance]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mixed Read / Write Workloads]
- Page 7 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test]
- Page 8 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test - Continued]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Commodore 64 still running auto shop after 25 years
- Get this $100 programmable gaming keyboard for just $55
- Apple's next-gen MacBook Pro expected mid-October
- Xbox Scorpio's true 4K res won't be easy for developers
- NVIDIA shows off 4K 60FPS footage of Titanfall 2 on PC
- ASUS X99-Deluxe II Motherboard Review
- U.2 Kit on Taichi
- Z170X-Gaming 5 - Thunderbolt controller + Intel RST drivers issue.
- Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock Premium Edition Review
- GA-EX58-UD3R Vt-d support
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now