Enterprise Performance 15K HDD v4 Internals
The Enterprise Performance 15K HDD v4 comes in the 2.5" form factor.
A foam pad between the case and the PCB helps absorb vibration, and the drive controller and motor controller have thermal pads to shed heat into the case of the drive. There are angled accelerometers on the upper left, and lower right of the PCB. The Samsung DRAM chip occupies the middle of the PCB, and several capacitors are on the upper left.
The Marvell I 1062-B0 controller is flanked by the 128MB multi-segmented cache package. A SMOOTH motor controller is on the upper left.
The Enterprise Performance v4 utilizes a 6Gb/s SAS connection.
Idle power consumption is a pain point in the datacenter. The Seagate Enterprise Performance 15K HDD v4 utilizes PowerChoice Technology, Seagate's proprietary implementation of the T10/T13 Approved Standard. PowerChoice provides four enhanced idle modes that place the drive into deeper quasi-sleep cycles to conserve power. The feature is enabled with a SAS Mode Page, or SATA Set Feature command states triggered by the length of drive inactivity. There is also the option for immediate host-initiated power transitions in a typical implementation. Once enabled, PowerChoice places the drive into successively deeper idle states with SAS/SATA commands, but each consecutive sleep mode requires more time for resumption. We did not test with enhanced PowerChoice states enabled.
The Enterprise Performance 15K HDD v4 averages a seven watt power draw during the idle power state. It is important to note this measurement is without PowerChoice technology activated; the drive can idle lower when using PowerChoice. The 450GB 15K v4 features more capacity than the 147GB and 300GB competitors do; on an idle watts-per-GB basis the 15K v4 offers very competitive idle power consumption metrics.
Enterprise Performance 15K HDD v4 Specifications
The 12Gb/s Seagate Enterprise Performance 15K HDD v4 HDD we are testing today is the 512e variant with the ST450MP0004 part number. There are 4K, 512n, SED, and FIPS variants available with varying part numbers.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Enterprise Performance 15K HDD v4 Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Database/OLTP and File Server]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Switch Pro controller can be used to play PC games
- Xbox One gets $10 EA Access-like subscription service
- The Xenomorph is unleashed in new 'Alien' trailer
- NVIDIA announces its new GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
- Bethesda optimizing games for AMD's Ryzen and Vega tech
- IPMI on E3C226D2I
- Site & Forum impressions
- Will the PC-Q17 ever be released in the U.S?
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Massive, Lightstorm and Fox Interactive team up for a game based on Avatar universe
- FutureMark reveals new VR and server benchmarking tools
- LG preparing VR HMD
- Dolby Laboratories and LG Electronics announce first smartphone to support Dolby Vision
- Meet the HUAWEI P10, a stunning combination of technology and art