Introduction of the Sapphire R9 290 4GB Vapor-X OC
The other day, we got the chance to check out the $3,000 setup that is the AMD R9 295X2 8GB in CrossFireX. If that's a setup that is a little too expensive for you, then today we might have something that looks a little bit more attractive. Recently, we got a chance to look at the Sapphire R9 290 4GB Tri-X, which really impressed us. If you're looking for something just a little more powerful, though, then the Vapor-X version of the card might be just what you're after.
Since we got a chance to look at a R9 290 4GB from Sapphire just recently, we thought today we'd mix it up a bit and throw some overclocking into the mix with the Vapor-X version of the card. Sapphire cards tend to always do well with overclocking thanks to the quality of the cooler. Even with extra voltage, we see the card continue to perform at a reasonable temperature.
As for the R9 290 4GB itself, it seems that we haven't looked at quite as many as I thought. With most companies choosing to concentrate on either the R9 290X 4GB or the slightly lower R9 280X 3GB, the R9 290 4GB that sits between hasn't got quite as much attention as you'd think. The versions we've looked at, though, have impressed us, and with overclocking, the possibility of getting to performance in line or ahead of its big brother, the R9 290X 4GB, shouldn't be too much of an issue. Of course, we'll find that out and more today.
The first thing we need to do is check out the package, so let's not delay any longer and get stuck into the Sapphire R9 290 4GB Vapor-X OC and see just what Sapphire is bringing to the table with one of their latest releases.
Package - What comes inside the box
Taking a look at the front of the box, you can see the design isn't anything out of the ordinary. You can see the brand and model easily, and across the bottom, you can see some of the main features, including the card being an OC Edition while also carrying 4GB GDDR5, Tri-X Fan Cooler, 2 Ball Bearing Fans, and some other AMD specific technologies like Mantle.
If we turn the box over, you can see a bit of a blurb on the card along with a picture of it. On the right side of the box, you can see that Sapphire expands on some of the main features, including the Vapor-X cooling technology, Tri-X triple fan, and Intelligent Fan Control to help keep noise levels under control.
Getting into the bundle, it's a fairly standard Sapphire setup with the normal line up of paperwork and a driver CD. On the cable side of things, you can see we've got two Dual-Molex to 8-Pin PCIe power connectors along with an HDMI cable, something that Sapphire often includes in its higher-end bundles.
Finally something new, you can see that Sapphire has included a mouse pad. While the design of it is cool, the quality and size of it isn't. It's like a piece of paper. Sure, it's something free, but the chances are if you're buying a card like this, you have yourself a decent mouse pad already.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Video Card Details and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup & FPS Numbers Explained]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven & Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks – Lost Planet 2 & Just Cause 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks – F1 2012 & Metro Last Light]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks – Dirt Showdown & Nexuiz]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks – Sniper Elite V2 & Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks – Hitman Absolution & Tomb Raider]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks – BioShock Infinite & Battlefield 4]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks – 4K – 3840 x 2160 Testing]
- Page 14 [Temperature & Sound Testing]
- Page 15 [Power Consumption Testing]
- Page 16 [Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.