Toshiba PX02SS Internals
The 800GB model features a slim 7mm z-height. The case is constructed of a lightweight metal alloy and features the relevant branding. The top of the case also holds a recessed series of indentations that function as heat channels. The rear of the case has a metal recessed area, and we note a square hole, and several round ones, on the bottom of the SSD that allow airflow into interior of the case.
The PCB is secured to the case via four fasteners. The purpose of the heat channels becomes clear when we open the case of the SSD. There are small thermal pads that mate with the NAND and DRAM to wick heat away from these components. The pads are present on both sides of the case. Four small thermal pads mate with the top of the controller, and another four connect to the PCB on the rear of the controller. We usually observe large thick thermal pads that cover entire banks of NAND in many enterprise SSDs. In this type of open-case design, large pads could impede internal airflow.
There is an SK Hynix DRAM module on both sides of the PCB. The large controller dominates the middle of the PCB. There are 16 Toshiba 19nm MLC NAND packages on the PCB.
Several rows of capacitors provide enough capacitance to flush data to the NAND in the event of host power loss.
The Marvell TC58NC9036GTC controller utilizes custom firmware. The Toshiba/Marvell co-branded controller is utilized on all 12Gb/s SSDs in the Toshiba line.
Toshiba PX02SS Specifications
Power loss protection is built-in with a bank of tantalum capacitors to flush data in-transit down to the NAND in the event of a power failure. The PX03SN features a two-million-hour MTTF. The energy efficiency is 24,400 IOPS-per-Watt for the 800GB model, though this is measured as read IOPS-per-Watt. The PX03SN features 1 DWPD of endurance. There are also self-encrypting versions supporting SANITIZE Instant erase available, with a notable 190 MiB/s decrease in sequential read speed.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Toshiba PX02SS Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Database/OLTP and File Server]
- Page 8 [Email Server & Web Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Faraday Future receives only 60 deposits for the FF 91
- Huawei P10 to have the highest pricing in the series
- Honor 8 successor comes with 6GB of RAM and 128GB ROM
- Nokia hints at Snapdragon 835 powered smartphone
- Resident Evil 7's Windows 10 PC port is a big mess
- How do i brake the boot loop? (no post)
- Z170X Gamming 5 - Sata Expansion alternatives
- Gigabyte (Business) Partner Questions
- Upgrading to Z270
- headphones not registering on ASUS k501uq
- AVerMedia's AVerCaster HEVC RS9280 brings 3G-SDI to professional 4K HEVC video
- Thermaltake reveals new Riing Plus 12 LED RGB radiator fan TT Premium Edition Radiator Fan with Riing Plus RGB Software
- Call of Duty World League (CWL) presented by PlayStation 4 invades Texas with CWL Open Event
- PAX South attendees can play Nintendo Switch before it launches
- Acer unveils versatile and robust TravelMate Spin B1 convertible notebook at BETT 2017