Toshiba PX02SS Internals
The 800GB model features a slim 7mm z-height. The case is constructed of a lightweight metal alloy and features the relevant branding. The top of the case also holds a recessed series of indentations that function as heat channels. The rear of the case has a metal recessed area, and we note a square hole, and several round ones, on the bottom of the SSD that allow airflow into interior of the case.
The PCB is secured to the case via four fasteners. The purpose of the heat channels becomes clear when we open the case of the SSD. There are small thermal pads that mate with the NAND and DRAM to wick heat away from these components. The pads are present on both sides of the case. Four small thermal pads mate with the top of the controller, and another four connect to the PCB on the rear of the controller. We usually observe large thick thermal pads that cover entire banks of NAND in many enterprise SSDs. In this type of open-case design, large pads could impede internal airflow.
There is an SK Hynix DRAM module on both sides of the PCB. The large controller dominates the middle of the PCB. There are 16 Toshiba 19nm MLC NAND packages on the PCB.
Several rows of capacitors provide enough capacitance to flush data to the NAND in the event of host power loss.
The Marvell TC58NC9036GTC controller utilizes custom firmware. The Toshiba/Marvell co-branded controller is utilized on all 12Gb/s SSDs in the Toshiba line.
Toshiba PX02SS Specifications
Power loss protection is built-in with a bank of tantalum capacitors to flush data in-transit down to the NAND in the event of a power failure. The PX03SN features a two-million-hour MTTF. The energy efficiency is 24,400 IOPS-per-Watt for the 800GB model, though this is measured as read IOPS-per-Watt. The PX03SN features 1 DWPD of endurance. There are also self-encrypting versions supporting SANITIZE Instant erase available, with a notable 190 MiB/s decrease in sequential read speed.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Toshiba PX02SS Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Database/OLTP and File Server]
- Page 8 [Email Server & Web Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Verizon acquires Vessel, will shut it down on October 31
- Nintendo investors hate new Switch console hybrid
- Nintendo teases Jan 12 event for 'major' Switch details
- Dolby Atmos update coming for Xbox One S
- LinusTechTips makes $3,000 custom watercooled PS4
- Not able to adjust timings!
- Battlefield 1 PC Performance and Quality Report
- Battlefield 1: War Stories Review
- GIGABYTE Z170X-UD3 Ultra Motherboard Review
- Micro SDXC card Strontium vs Sandisk vs Samsung
- G.Skill announces the RIPJAWS KM570 MX mechanical keyboard
- iBuyPower announces the Slate gaming desktop
- Fujitsu and Lenovo to explore global strategic PC cooperation
- Toshiba's SAS SSDs provide secure storage for NetApp FAS and E-Series arrays for enterprise applications
- Simplygon enables future of virtual development with open access to software