It's been a while since we've seen anything from XFX in the video card area; with AMD launching a whole mess of video cards, though, we knew it wouldn't be too long before we saw the company start to release models under popular series like the Double D Edition. The first card we're looking at is the popular R9 280X 3GB.
Priced at the mid $300 region, the R9 280X 3GB has become a popular card for gamers who are looking for something high-end, but don't quite want to go to the extreme end of the scale with the R9 290 4GB variants, which start at around $500 and go into the mid $600 realm for the R9 290X 4GB variant.
We've already covered so many versions of the new R series video cards from AMD, so we won't go into a whole lot more here. What we will say, though, is the particular version of the R9 280X 3GB we're looking at today from XFX is the Double D Black Edition, which in the past has brought with it strong performance in both the out of the box clock department and cooling area.
Let's leave it there, though, and get into the package to see just what XFX is bringing to the table with this video card.
Taking a look at the box, you can see the overall design is similar to what we've seen before. We've got the brand and model on the front clearly, and you can see some of the main features listed on the box, including 3GB GDDR5, Double Dissipation Cooling, 90MM fans, Unlocked Voltage, and an out-of-the-box overclock via that Black Edition label.
Turning the box over, you can see we're just greeted with AMD specific features like Eyefinity, CrossFire support, GCN architecture, and PCIe 3.0 to name some of the main ones.
Moving into the package, you can see we've got a fair bit of paperwork going on, which is pretty standard for an XFX card as they often include a lot of leaflets. You can see we've got some advertising the power supplies along with the connectors. You can also see the install guide, quick install guide, and information regarding the registration of the product.
We've got the standard Driver CD and CrossFire bridge along with a dual Molex to 6-Pin PCIe power connector and a dual 6-Pin to 8-Pin PCIe power connector to round things off.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 4]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Set sail with 'Moana' in our latest Blu-ray giveaway!
- MSI makes its GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X official
- StarCraft remastered announced by Blizzard
- The first sign of Kaby Lake X: the Intel Core i7-7740K
- AMD Ryzen with 12C/24T appears, excites us all so much
- Gigabyte Aorus z270x Gaming 9 Motherboard Bios Code: bcc0
- New Mobo and my W10 Install?
- Just finished my PC-011 Build
- ASUS M51Vr Notebook. Long story.
- Kong: Skull Island Movie Review
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse