Installation and Finished Product
The first thing we did when preparing the Dark Rock 3 for our test rig was to go ahead and mount the two Intel mounting brackets to the base of the cooler with the provided countersunk screws.
We have also kept a hold of the back plate that we have had to mod to fit our specific motherboard's thermal armor. As you can see, it can only go on two ways and still clear the socket, and the Phillips headed studs are ran through the board so we can mount the rest of the hardware to this back plate.
On the top of the motherboard, once the studs are through the motherboard, you need to lock it in place with the black plastic clips. After those are in place, you also need to add the nut that screws over the studs and expands the threads to the same as the nuts that secure the cooler brackets to these stud assemblies.
With the Dark Rock 3 now mounted, we were able to keep our taller flame tips on the Tridents we test with. We are only populating two slots currently, but you can see the fan will still ride low on the fins and not make it sit much higher on the cooler as a lot of others do.
That isn't exactly the whole story, though. If you have the desire to populate all of the slots, you will run into clearance issues. Not only does the fan cover the slot nearest to the CPU, even with low profile sticks in the board, the fan would have to be raised, increasing the overall height.
Once we have the Dark Rock 3 and the motherboard back into the D-Frame, the perspective of size is much easier to see. With this single-tower design not only can I swap out my memory with the cooler still mounted, but we can also access the 8-pin easily, and there are no issues with encroachment into the PCI-E slots.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Hideo Kojima: The players are everything, I get my energy from them
- ASUS unveils a Windows 10-powered PC-on-a-stick with the new VivoStick
- You can now download Epic's awesome 'Showdown' VR experience
- PS4 v3.0 firmware includes YouTube Gaming support, more cloud storage
- Your daily WTF: Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015 is a real game
- Purchasing case fans in Taiwan
- Strontium Nitro 566X 64GB MicroSDXC and USB Type-C Reader Review
- does ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 support window 10 with the G3258 cpu?
- Seagate Backup Plus STDA4000100 4TB External Portable HDD Review
- GA-Z97X Gaming 7 + Samsung SM951 256 gb
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015