The Test System and Thermal Results
I would first like to thank ASUS, InWin, Corsair, and Fractal Design for supplying products for me to test with. To see our testing methodology, and to find out what goes into making our charts, please refer to our CPU Cooler Testing and Methodology article for that information.
Slightly edging out the Dark Rock Pro 3 we just had a look at: the R1 Ultimate offers us a stock loaded average of 51.75 degrees. Considering they are priced very closely, the choice is pretty easy to make when the gap from dual radiator AIOs is only a degree and a half out of reach at this point.
However, when we added the third fan, we dropped the .75 off the end of the score, and got an average of 51 degrees at that point. Also, for the idle conditions for these tests, we saw the R1 Ultimate deliver a 29 degree average.
As we applied more heat to the cooler in the overclocked testing, we see that the R1 Ultimate has increased its lead on the Dark Rock Pro 3; in fact, it passes the Tundra TD03, and really closes down on the GamerStorm Lucifer. With the average of 71.33 degrees as it comes shipped, it is only 3.75 degrees away from the best performing water cooler we have tested.
Once we added the third fan into the mix, the results dropped to an average temperature of 70.08 degrees, which is quite impressive, especially considering the noise levels are maintained to acceptable levels.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [CRYORIG R1 Ultimate CPU Cooler]
- Page 5 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 6 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 7 [The Test System and Thermal Results]
- Page 8 [Noise Level Results]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NieR: Automata PC release date 'accidentally' revealed
- Nintendo Switch launch game exceeds console's storage
- AMD will dominate the mid-range with Ryzen 7 1700X
- AMD's new Ryzen 7 1800X: 8C/16T @ 4GHz for $499
- AMD's new Ryzen CPU hits 52% IPC improvement
- Lian Li A61 5.25 devices
- Z270 Supercarrier - blackscreen 09/d0, cannot switch to backup BIOS
- E5450 oveclock on EP45-DS3L
- H97M Pro4 - Intel Smart Connect Technology is running in Win10 but not in Win7
- (GA X99 Designare) Anyone using a Beta BIOS?
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications
- Transcend announces Ultimate UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) microSD cards to support 4K Ultra HD video recording
- Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest culminates with the journey eastward in Stormblood