The Massive SP looks sleek, and the chrome rings and handles give this cooler a touch of class as well. Covering the basic aspects of being a notebook cooler, we were a bit disappointed in the lack of height adjustment, but much like Goldilocks and the Three Bears, it seems this one is just right. Not too flat, and not too tall for everyday users; plus it stays resting on the four rubber pads, keeping it in place better than the Massive 142. There is an audible hum from the fan at maximum speeds; however, at that speed, the Massive SP was still able to offer three degrees improvement over running the Lenovo without it. The switches have a stiff feel to them, so it is not likely they will move when not intended to, and as a whole, everything works as intended. The only downfall I see is that you will lose a USB port when using the Massive SP for both cooling and audio benefits.
On the audio front: holy cow does this beat the pants off the M6. Right out of the box on initial testing I could tell we were in for something much better. Right out of the box, we turned the levels up all the way on the laptop and turned on the audio switch for the Massive SP. Here we were give clean highs without the feeling of the driver being in such a tiny enclosure, nothing like the tin cans we got from DeepCool. Mid's are also there and clean, but bass tones are less heard in any pronounced way, but it can actually be felt through the Massive SP's frame, and even into the laptop on top. This is also accomplished with no audible rattles from the design.
Also, when using the Massive SP for audio, there is a distinct increase in the sound level over the Realtek HD Audio I get out of the speakers of the laptop, on the order of 10dB. At this point I am really glad I gave notebook coolers containing an audio solution another chance, Thermaltake showed me that while not the "boomin' system," they deliver good audio, and the Massive SP is something I will enjoy using for some time to come.
In the end, not only do we get a really good solution for just cooling the laptop, we also get a cooler that will enhance movie watching, listening to streaming audio, or making sure roommates can hear what is being said in the YouTube video. This way you can set the laptop on the table, keep it cool, and watch movies with friends without having to tangle everyone up in patch cables for multiple sets of headphones either.
While I am still waiting for a design of this nature to point the speakers at the user, with what can be heard and felt sounding clean and enjoyable to listen to, Thermaltake gets my recommendation for this design. With the pricing set to $37.50, it is not only reasonable, it is a great price for what the Massive SP brought to the table.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- HP's 4K FreeSync monitor 'Envy' revealed
- Fly the Small But Mighty SKEYE Pico Drone
- CS:GO is majorly dysfunctional for Australians and in New Zealanders
- Synology teases new OS for its NAS range, Apple Watch app for 2016
- Tesla P85D smashes two Motorsport cars in drag race
- HighPoint RocketStor 6414AS Four-Bay Hardware RAID Tower Review
- I Was Wondering If Someone Could Help Me With Driver Issue For SATA3 z97
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX 32GB USB iOS Flash Drive Review
- SSI EEB support for Lian Li high end chassis
- Need help with a build
- Nokia announces planned leadership and organizational structure for combined Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent
- DOK SOLUTION UNVEILS CR09, 2 DEVICE CHARGER/CRADLE/CLOCK/SPEAKER/RADIO WITH 'SCD TECHNOLOGY' (SMART CURRENT DETECTION), NO MORE OVERCHARGING!
- FIRST CELLULAR ANDROID WEAR SMARTWATCH PREVIEWED AT LG EVENT
- LG UNVEILS V10, A SMARTPHONE DESIGNED WITH CREATIVITY IN MIND
- Marvell Teams Up with Google to Enable Chromecast 2.0 and Chromecast Audio