Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts
Hitting at $399, AMD has done the same thing they've done with every other R series video card that they've launched in the last month - priced it perfectly. With NVIDIA doing a bit of a price drop, in the last week, though, we thought that maybe it would be a little tougher this time around for AMD. If we go through the competition, though, it's pricing continues to look fantastic.
The GTX 770 2GB comes in at the $329 - $399 price point depending on which brand and variation you buy. Grabbing a GTX 770 2GB for less then what an R9 290 4GB is going to cost you is easy. Saying that, though, we wouldn't say that the GTX 770 2GB is the main competitor to this model, instead we'd say it's the higher-end GTX 780 3GB.
When it comes to the GTX 780 3GB, it starts at $499 and goes up to around the $549 mark depending on the brand and variation you buy. That means the starting point for the GTX 780 3GB is $100 more expensive than the new R9 290 4GB. If you're happy to spend around the $549+ mark, then you'd probably be better off looking at the R9 290X 4GB.
It really feels that AMD is going to be causing quite the headache for NVIDIA with this model. There really isn't much more room to move when it comes to pricing, and while the GTX 770 2GB does come in a decent chunk cheaper, we really wouldn't put it against the new R9 290 4GB, as it's almost always slower than it, and by a decent margin in some cases.
We're glad that AMD has not worried about the "Quiet" and "Uber" modes on this model as we feel it's a bit silly on the R9 290X 4GB and it would be silly here as well. What we are glad to see, though, is the bridgeless CrossFire technology implemented.
It really doesn't feel like we need to say a whole lot more about this model. The new R series bring with it some cool technology like Mantle, TrueAudio and bridgeless CrossFire technology on the 290 variants. Money talks, though, and in the end, AMD has again done a fantastic job of pricing the new model exactly where it needs to be. We can't wait to see what companies do with both the R9 290 and R9 290X as we come into the holiday season.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 'Moonlight' wins Best Picture Oscar in huge screw up
- Switch handheld battery lasts over 3 hours playing Zelda
- Hack 'Mr Robot' and win a Season 2 Blu-ray on us!
- Samsung teases the Galaxy S8 and confirms launch date
- Samsung's Galaxy Tab S3 with stylus introduced at MWC
- Will the PC-Q17 ever be released in the U.S?
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- Dolby Laboratories and LG Electronics announce first smartphone to support Dolby Vision
- Meet the HUAWEI P10, a stunning combination of technology and art
- Samsung expands tablet portfolio with Galaxy Tab S3 and Galaxy Book, offering enhanced mobile entertainment and productivity
- Razer releases power bank smart charge mobile accessory
- LG unveils new G6 with a large fullvision display tailored to fit in one hand