Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts
The good news about the HIS R9 290X 3GB is that it carries the lowest price tag over at Newegg at $549.99. The bad news is that like every other R9 290X 3GB on the market, it's out of stock. This is one of the most common issues when it comes to new high-end cards from AMD and NVIDIA. On the bright side, if you throw in a pre-order, because stock is constantly coming in, the wait is never all that long.
While we didn't test the single card performance of the HIS R9 290X 3GB today, we know just how the card is going to perform due to the fact it follows the reference design. In a nutshell, we'd say the performance is great, but if you really want to read about our thoughts on the single card setup in more detail, then we highly recommend you head on over to our launch review.
What we really need to talk about today is the performance side of things when it comes to CrossFire. The large performance gains for these high-end setups are becoming harder and harder as the hardware side of things is moving at a faster rate than the software. We really hope that this is addressed more with the Mantle API that AMD launched with the new cards. Making games easier to code should hopefully bring with it higher-end everything, and that means that video cards are going to be pushed harder and harder.
You're only really going to be able to make full use of this kind of setup if you're packing a resolution of above 1920 x 1080. At 1680 x 1050, spending in excess of $1,000 on a video card setup is just crazy. If you've got that kind of money to spend on a video card setup, then you should also have enough to purchase a monitor with a minimum resolution of 1920 x 1080.
Even then, you'd want to make sure that you're gaming at max detail and you should more than likely be looking at your AA and AF settings. I think the biggest jump in demand for higher-end setups isn't going to come from the games, though, instead it's going to come from the monitors. As we see 4k monitors drop in price, the demand for video card setups that can push recent games at this resolution at a decent FPS is going to become greater.
Multi GPU setups are always something that people either like or don't. There's no denying that if you're looking for a setup that can push some serious FPS, then you need to go down the multi GPU path. If you're looking at spending around the $1,000 mark, then this is no doubt the setup that's going to get your attention.
Getting to the specifics of the HIS R9 290X 3GB, there's really not much that needs to be said about it as everything we feel about the new R9 290X 3GB was mentioned in our launch review, which we linked too just above. For the money, the HIS R9 290X 3GB is a mighty impressive video card, and if you've got even more cash to play with, going down the path of two is appealing.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Ubisoft: PC-like consoles was a 'good decision'
- 8 minutes of new Prey gameplay footage released
- Titanfall 2 blog detailed the items of the in-game store
- AMD performance issues in Darksiders Warmastered fixed
- Microsoft testing Gears of War 4 PC, console crossplay
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- Fnatic Gear Clutch G1 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- X99 Professional Gaming i7 and RAM question
- ADATA SV620 480GB Portable SSD Review
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset
- Tesoro opens new product line with the release of its Zone Balance gaming chair