Unlike a lot of the other models that AMD has recently launched, the new R9 290X hasn't got the same special treatment yet from partners. Looking above, you can see we're dealing with the reference design, which means that we're not going to see anything different to what we saw from the AMD card we looked at recently when it comes to the overall design.
Looking above, though, you can see as you'd expect that HIS has thrown their logo on the fan.
Taking a quick look around the card, you see exactly what you saw in our reference card review. That means that power comes in the form of a single 8-pin and 6-pin PCIe power connector. Staying across the top of the card and moving closer to the front, you can see we don't have a CrossFire connector.
What we do have is a switch that lets us switch between "Quiet Mode" and "Uber Mode". If you want to learn a bit more about this, then we recommend you head over to our launch review for full details.
Finally we finish off with the I/O. Looking above, you can see we've got two Dual-Link DVI connectors, along with a DisplayPort and HDMI connector.
Since companies can't move away from the reference design yet, we're really not seeing anything that we didn't see in our launch review.
Really everything about this card is reference and looking below you can see we're dealing with the reference clocks too. That means when it comes to the core speed, it comes in at 1000MHz, while the 4GB of GDDR5 comes clocked in at 5000MHz QDR.
The main thing we want to look at, though, in the image above is to make sure CrossFire is indeed enabled. As you can see it is and 2 GPUs are detected. The best way to make sure everything is working, though, is to simply benchmark the card, so let's do that now over the next pages.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Project CARS 2 latest screenshots look amazing
- BlackBerry announces KEYone, with Pixel's camera sensor
- Genesis Alpha One is the 80s sci-fi game I always wanted
- iPhone 7 explodes, smoke coming out caught on video
- Mass Effect: Andromeda on PC is Origin exclusive
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q: Crazy Fast Gaming @ 1080p 240Hz
- Cannot access the BIOS on a laptop
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications