Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts
Hitting at $299.99 at the time of writing, the MSI R9 280X 3GB Twin Frozr Gaming OC comes in at a really strong price point, sitting in line with the cheapest R9 280X offerings. The setup we're looking at today comes in at twice that price bringing us up to $600. Considering the GTX 780 3GB starts at $649.99 and the performance of this setup here today is stronger than the GTX 780 3GB in almost every situation, we see some good value from this setup.
With the aggressive pricing of the new R9 series and the generally strong performance we see from multi-card setups these days, you can see that this CrossFire setup really has value. At the same time we completely understand that going down the path of multi video cards isn't for everyone. For the most part we would also like to say that CrossFire isn't perfect, but you can see today the only game that caused issues in the past was Nexuiz and we can see today that this isn't a problem with some great performance gains being seen.
Moving away from the actual performance numbers, though, and looking at the performance of the MSI cooler, you can see it's strong. The Twin Frozr IV cooler has always been strong and you can see here today that while the hottest core is a little warmer at 73c, the noise levels of the card are impressive. Considering the performance of the setup here today, the fact that we're able to have such low noise levels is fantastic.
Fortunately the good news for us is that this isn't going to be the last R Series based CrossFire setup as we have more coming in the following weeks. If what we're seeing today, though, is anything to go by, performance should be strong, and value should also be impressive.
While we didn't test the performance of a single MSI R9 280X 3GB Twin Frozr Gaming OC here today, based on the performance of the Sapphire R9 280X 3GB TOXIC we tested the other day, we have an idea of how the model would perform. Saying that, it's of course going to be a little slower due to the overclock being not as high.
On the other hand, if you're happy to go down the multi video card path and you're looking for a setup that's going to come in cheaper than the GTX 780 3GB, this is a really nice option. Performance on its own is fantastic and the quality of the MSI version really is strong thanks to the Twin Frozr IV cooler that always impresses us.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Twitch users spent 241 billion minutes watching games in 2015
- Samsung's huge 18.4-inch Galaxy View tablet drops to $449.99
- Google possibly making all-in-one, self-powered VR headset
- Quantum Break is DX12 only, requires 8GB of RAM minimum
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's new patch improves multi-GPU performance
- Any advice on redeeming Asus Promotions?
- Extreme Problem (not alone)
- Cougar 450K Hybrid Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- more a what's your opinion on motherboard replacement re: asus 1225b
- Debug 62
- Phanteks Announces the Eclipse P400 and P400S Chassis
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Horus GK2000 Gaming Keyboard
- Logitech Announces the G810 Orion Spectrum Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
- ADATA Reveals HD650X and HD710M USB 3.0 External Hard Drives