The Western Digital Slim is the latest from WD's commitment to slim computing. With just a 7mm Z-Height, the Slim allows for massive storage capacity in a very thin footprint. Capacities range from 320GB to 1TB all featuring a 5400-RPM spindle speed.
In previous 2.5-inch drives from WD, they had to pack in three platters to reach the 1TB mark (WD10JPVX). Now that technology has progressed slightly and WD has reached the 500GB per platter density in the 2.5" form factor the capacity war has begun, and it all starts with the 1TB WD Slim we have in house today.
With the transition over to 500GB platter density, Western Digital can now focus on slimming down its entire lineup of hard drives. Nowhere is this more evident than with the release of the WD Ultra Slim, a drive we will be looking at in another review in the upcoming weeks.
When slimming down an entire lineup of drives, companies like WD have to take into account drive shock and vibration in the slim form factor. To stabilize the platters, WD has implemented what they call StableTrac technology, which has the motor shaft being secured at both ends, while WD ShockGuard enables higher shock tolerance.
Specifications, Pricing and Availability
Specifications for the WD Slim has the drive utilizing the SATA 6Gb/s interface, with 16MB of cache complimenting the drive. Further, the drive uses a 5400RPM spindle speed with a maximum transfer rate of 140MB/s. Load/Unload Cycles match the Seagate Ultrathin at 600,000.
Power Consumption of the WD Slim uses just 1.7w during read/write operations and 0.18w during sleep. Western Digital warranties the Slim for a period of two years. Pricing of the WD Slim in the 1TB capacity is set at $119.99 at the time of writing.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Western Digital Slim (WD10SPCX) 1TB HDD]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark 8 Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - BootRacer and Resume from S4 Hibernation]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PowerColor Radeon RX 480 Devil can hit 1.4GHz with triple-fan cooler
- NVIDIA rumored to launch GeForce GTX 1060 next week, will fight RX 480
- AMD's next-gen 'Naples' processor spotted, features 64 CPU threads
- AMD acquires HiAlgo which works on dynamic resoution scaling, and more
- These seven new Pokemon are quite...interesting
- Insight Needed for RAM upgrade issue.
- Doom Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- Cant overclock RAM
- How will windows 10 affect my D, E and F drives?
- Updated BIOS on E3C226D2I now can't boot from USB
- MSI starring new Polaris-based Radeon RX 480 graphics card
- AMD launches the Radeon Rebellion with the Radeon RX 480 video card, available now
- SAPPHIRE launches next generation Polaris-based Radeon RX 480 video card
- Be Quiet! announces the Dark Base 900 case
- Western Digital launches world's fastest 256GB microSD Card