The Western Digital Slim is the latest from WD's commitment to slim computing. With just a 7mm Z-Height, the Slim allows for massive storage capacity in a very thin footprint. Capacities range from 320GB to 1TB all featuring a 5400-RPM spindle speed.
In previous 2.5-inch drives from WD, they had to pack in three platters to reach the 1TB mark (WD10JPVX). Now that technology has progressed slightly and WD has reached the 500GB per platter density in the 2.5" form factor the capacity war has begun, and it all starts with the 1TB WD Slim we have in house today.
With the transition over to 500GB platter density, Western Digital can now focus on slimming down its entire lineup of hard drives. Nowhere is this more evident than with the release of the WD Ultra Slim, a drive we will be looking at in another review in the upcoming weeks.
When slimming down an entire lineup of drives, companies like WD have to take into account drive shock and vibration in the slim form factor. To stabilize the platters, WD has implemented what they call StableTrac technology, which has the motor shaft being secured at both ends, while WD ShockGuard enables higher shock tolerance.
Specifications, Pricing and Availability
Specifications for the WD Slim has the drive utilizing the SATA 6Gb/s interface, with 16MB of cache complimenting the drive. Further, the drive uses a 5400RPM spindle speed with a maximum transfer rate of 140MB/s. Load/Unload Cycles match the Seagate Ultrathin at 600,000.
Power Consumption of the WD Slim uses just 1.7w during read/write operations and 0.18w during sleep. Western Digital warranties the Slim for a period of two years. Pricing of the WD Slim in the 1TB capacity is set at $119.99 at the time of writing.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Western Digital Slim (WD10SPCX) 1TB HDD]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark 8 Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - BootRacer and Resume from S4 Hibernation]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Fisker to unveil their new electric car in August
- New Friday the 13th game slashes PC, consoles this May
- Nintendo Switch owners can share game updates locally
- AMD teases 8K graphics workload on Radeon RX Vega
- AMD launches dual-GPU Radeon Pro Duo with 32GB of GDDR5
- Synology RT2600ac Wireless Router Review
- Cursor disappearing randomly
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G Review
- Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 NVMe SSD Review
- ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 K6 USB 3.1/TB Issues
- Nokia partners with Lucasfilm to deliver an immersive behind-the-scenes VR experience of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- New LaCie 2big Dock Thunderbolt 3 bridges the port gap and delivers massive capacity to streamline creative workflows
- ENERMAX launches D.F. STORM, the 3500RPM fan featuring self-cleaning design
- Tenda unveils new USB 3.0 AC1300 wireless network adapter
- SAPPHIRE introduces new PULSE graphics card family