Seagate has announced their third generation of SSD's; ranging from a consumer model, the Seagate 600, all the way up to a PCIe accelerator. The refresh of their enterprise SSD models includes the dual-port 12GB/s SAS Seagate 1200 and the entry-level Seagate 600 Pro.
The Seagate 600 Pro is designed to target the entry-level enterprise SATA SSD market, in particular hyperscale datacenters and cloud applications. Seagate foresees the 600 Pro also gaining traction as an enthusiast model for the client space.
Seagate has a deep understanding of the datacenter, they produce eight new HDD's per second, and churned out over a billion HDD's in the last four years alone. Unbelievably, that is more than 680,000 HDD's per day. Many of these HDD's head into datacenters, and Seagate has leveraged this understanding of OEM storage solutions and power efficiency to shape their new line of enterprise SSD products.
The Seagate 600 Pro features the LAMD LM87800AA controller also utilized in client SSD's. Seagate has built a history of collaboration with Link_A_Media (LAMD) during their initial foray into the SSD market with the Seagate Pulsar series. The LAMD controllers were actually designed in conjunction with Seagate. In the past Seagate even provided Series B financing for LAMD. SK Hynix has since purchased LAMD, but the bond between Seagate and LAMD remains strong.
This provides Seagate with broad experience with the LAMD LM87800 controller. Leveraging Seagate's own firmware allows them to tune the controller for enterprise use. Seagate has an expansive, and growing, patent portfolio that includes many technologies that translate well to SSD design, including multi-layered error recovery technology with advanced error detection and correction encoding.
The intense qualification cycles and rigorous interoperability testing delivers a quality product that will mesh well with any environment. The 400GB Seagate 600 Pro features sustained sequential read/write speeds of 520/450MB/s, and random read/write performance of 85,000/30,000 IOPS (in the capacities points with extra overprovisioning).
The 400 GB version of the SSD sports an endurance rating of 1080TBW, compared to 350TBW of endurance with the 480GB model. The extra overprovisioning also brings random write performance up from 11,000 IOPS to 30,000 IOPS at this capacity point. The gamut of available capacities provides administrators with a scalable configuration with preconfigured amounts of overprovisioning to suit their workload.
The Seagate 600 Pro also features tantalum power capacitors and a design optimized to deliver best-in-class performance efficiency, lowering the overall TCO of the storage solution. The continuing push from the HDD juggernaut into the SSD market aims to bring low-cost, yet powerful, solutions to market as part of their expansive portfolio of storage options.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- AMD's dual Fiji chip spotted as Radeon R9 Gemini, is this the Fury X2?
- Aware of 'let's play' videos? Here's every single one summarized
- This Grand Theft Auto IV hyper-realistic mod is better than real life
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 arrives, IGN says pop-shove it in the garbage
- The important question has been answered: Will the new iPhone 6s bend?
- ASROCK FM2A88X-ITX+ No video first boot
- Hi I Really Need Advice as to Where I Can Find Genuine Asmedia Drivers?
- Samsung FIT MUF-64BB 64GB USB 3.0 Pico Flash Drive Review
- Why will my video card not work?
- M.2 Drive not showing up.
- MASSIVE AUDIO Introduces DOCTOR WHO Bluetooth And Wired Headphones
- BOXX Introduces the World's Smallest Overclocked Workstation - APEXX 1
- AOC's New Full HD USB Monitor Makes the Perfect Laptop or Desktop Companion
- Feel the Power and Speed Inside Your Laptop NOX DDR4 64GB 3000MHz SO-DIMM The True Champion
- Creative Team Behind Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood Launch New Clay Animated Video Game, Armikrog