When NZXT reached out to me about their latest power supply coming to market, I was quite pleased to hear from them. I was told the new power supply was to be dubbed the HALE90 V2 and it immediately caught my attention, as the original HALE90 850W was the first power supply I reviewed for TweakTown back in 2010. Since its release, it has been a popular power supply and has been one that flies out of stock, just as fast as it would come in stock.
This time around, NZXT has done a few things to better an already outstanding unit. Of the many things that have changed, the most notable one is certainly that the unit is now 100% modular. Previously it featured several natively wired cables including a pair of EPS12V connectors, which were just left hanging in most systems.
NZXT's press release stated that they wanted "to deliver a PSU suitable for high up-time server environments, but in a package for enthusiasts." We'll keep that in mind as we start tearing into the package and see what the new HALE90 V2 1000W power supply has to offer.
Specifications, Availability and Pricing
Looking at the I/O specifications for the HALE90V2 1000W power supply, we find a single 12V rail that provides most of the power for the unit. Both the 3.3V and 5V rails are rated for 30A each with a combined maximum output of 150W. The 5VSB rail is rated for a very strong 4A or 20W. Maximum combined output for the power supply is 1000W.
There were two things with the original HALE90 that we most certainly didn't like and that was the lack of Over Temperature Protection and that the unit wasn't rated for 100% continuous output. It seems that NZXT has addressed those issues as the HALE90 V2 1000W has both. Beyond that, it has everything else that we've come to expect from a top tier power supply including OVP, OCP, OPP and SCP. The power supply is rated for 80 PLUS Gold efficiency, and while we had expected it to be a Platinum rated power supply, the difference is mostly negligible and few people will ever notice the difference between the two. The HALE90 V2 also features a fully modular cable setup, all of which are fully sleeved or of the flat ribbon type.
NZXT lists the HALE90 V2 1000W power supply with an MSRP of $229. The cheapest we could find it for was at Newegg along with a $5.99 shipping fee, bumping the total to $235.98. This places the HALE90 V2 towards the more expensive end of Gold rated power supplies, and as such, we expect to see that the addition cost warrants some better performance. Warranty for the HALE90 V2 series is five years.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ASUS announces GTX 1080 11Gbps, GTX 1060 9Gbps models
- MSI and ASUS tease new GTX 1080s with 11Gbps GDDR5X RAM
- AMD's new Radeon RX 580 and RX 570 spotted
- Samsung DeX transforms your Galaxy S8 into a desktop PC
- Samsung unveils new Gear 360 camera
- ROCCAT SUORA FX Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Edition 8G Review
- Cannot get rid of Asus Secure Delete
- NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- MSI announces frosty limited edition Trident 3 Arctic gaming PC
- ADATA adds the i-Memory AI920 jet black flash drive
- FinalWire releases AIDA64 Extreme 5.90 benchmark software
- ASUS announces support for Intel Optane memory
- Thermaltake releases new View 28 RGB Gull-Wing window ATX mid-tower chassis series with Tt LCS Certified and unique 256-color RGB matrix design