ADATA SX900 128GB SSD
After hitting the market more than a year ago, we get our first look at the XPG SX900. We specifically asked for the 128GB capacity size since we learned that batch has the new B02 stepping controller.
The back of the drive lists the model number, warranty code which would be like a serial number and the Acronis key.
All of the mounting positions on the bottom are where they should be, but one is covered up by the warranty sticker.
As we mentioned on the specifications page, our sample is a 9.5mm z-height, but ADATA announced a change to all 7mm in the coming weeks.
The included desktop adapter bracket offsets the drive to the side so the SATA power and data connections are closer to your 3.5" form factor drives. This makes wiring easier.
I really don't need to harp on the security sticker covering the mounting hole. If you ever catch grief from ADATA's RMA department, then send them back to this article for this image.
The ADATA SX900 is the first retail product with the LSI SandForce SF-2281VB2, aka stepping B02. There are eight NAND flash chips on this particular drive and all of them are on the same side of the PCB.
Here is a nice close up of LSI SandForce's new SF-2281 controller. The controller shows VB2 and that means it's the new B02 stepping. The difference is refinements during the manufacturing process that lead to reduced power consumption.
ADATA is now packaging NAND, which is good news for them since it reduces costs, but bad news for diligent reviewers trying to double check every nook and cranny. The numbers don't give us a lot of information since we don't have a decoder sheet. ADATA tells us this is IMFT 20nm synchronous flash and we can see it has a TSOP package. We've tested a handful of new 19nm and 20nm drives with LSI SandForce controllers and the results have been mixed. In the 128GB capacity size, the Kingston V300 and OCZ Technology Vertex 3.20 come to mind, and both were slower than their 19/20nm parts.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [ADATA SX900 128GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - BootRacer]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New details emerge on Samsung Galaxy Note 7, new Gear VR headset
- Quake is being remade in Unreal Engine 4, and it could be awesome
- Xiaomi is rumored to announce a VR headset on August 1
- Farming Simulator 2017 gameplay trailer released
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has gone gold, is ready for August 24 release
- Can't use Google maps
- Main GA Z97X UD5H BK cannot boot with VGA R9 280X
- Z170 Deluxe Help Setup with RAID10 + SSD for OS
- C2750D4i no POST turns off after couple of seconds
- Polaris Nitro-charged - introducing the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480
- AccelStor debuting NeoSapphire 3706-ES1 at Flash Memory Summit 2016
- Elitegroup ceremoniously launches ECS H110S-2P mini-STX motherboard and the all-new LIVA Pro Mini PC
- MSI announces custom GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards
- Seagate unveils the industry's broadest 10TB portfolio