ADATA SX900 128GB SSD
After hitting the market more than a year ago, we get our first look at the XPG SX900. We specifically asked for the 128GB capacity size since we learned that batch has the new B02 stepping controller.
The back of the drive lists the model number, warranty code which would be like a serial number and the Acronis key.
All of the mounting positions on the bottom are where they should be, but one is covered up by the warranty sticker.
As we mentioned on the specifications page, our sample is a 9.5mm z-height, but ADATA announced a change to all 7mm in the coming weeks.
The included desktop adapter bracket offsets the drive to the side so the SATA power and data connections are closer to your 3.5" form factor drives. This makes wiring easier.
I really don't need to harp on the security sticker covering the mounting hole. If you ever catch grief from ADATA's RMA department, then send them back to this article for this image.
The ADATA SX900 is the first retail product with the LSI SandForce SF-2281VB2, aka stepping B02. There are eight NAND flash chips on this particular drive and all of them are on the same side of the PCB.
Here is a nice close up of LSI SandForce's new SF-2281 controller. The controller shows VB2 and that means it's the new B02 stepping. The difference is refinements during the manufacturing process that lead to reduced power consumption.
ADATA is now packaging NAND, which is good news for them since it reduces costs, but bad news for diligent reviewers trying to double check every nook and cranny. The numbers don't give us a lot of information since we don't have a decoder sheet. ADATA tells us this is IMFT 20nm synchronous flash and we can see it has a TSOP package. We've tested a handful of new 19nm and 20nm drives with LSI SandForce controllers and the results have been mixed. In the 128GB capacity size, the Kingston V300 and OCZ Technology Vertex 3.20 come to mind, and both were slower than their 19/20nm parts.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [ADATA SX900 128GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - BootRacer]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NASA solved the secret of ESA's missing Mars lander
- He changed his name to Seven iPhone for a free iPhone 7
- New photos and a shocking price of Huawei Mate 9 emerged
- Elon Musk describes his vision for colonization of Mars
- Nintendo Switch is single-screen only, says Nintendo
- BP2SATA - Do I need to connect both power ports?
- HyperX ALLOY FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Independence Day Resurgence 4K Blu-ray Review
- Battlefield 1 Multiplayer Gameplay Thoughts
- GA-PH67A-UD3-B3 Resume fail after suspend with Linux
- BIOSTAR unveils its GeForce GTX 1060 dual-fan video cards
- Manli announces GeForce GTX 1050 Gallardo Series video cards
- Eurocom launches the ultrathin 15.6' Sky M5 R2 VR Ready gaming laptop with Intel Core i7 6700HQ, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB GDDR5), 4G LTE support, 64 GB DDR4 memory, 6 TB SSD storage
- ENERMAX releases Steelwing aluminum case
- ENERMAX Platimax D.F. PSU is available now