At CES 2012 Monster Cable showcased their first SSD product and brought the Monster Digital name to light. I didn't visit the booth that year, but anything SSD, especially anything new SSD peaks my interest. After returning from the show I started looking at Monster Digital products, mainly the Le Mans SSD. Apparently I wasn't the only one looking and not the only one starting to ask questions. Monster Digital is a licensed name for SDJ Technologies based in Simi Valley. Even before CES, questions were being asked by other media and what they found doesn't impress us. The deeper we look the worse it all gets, but even now we don't have to use ancient history to know that buying an SSD from Monster Digital is a bad idea.
Our own experience is a list of unreturned emails, poor customer support, poor recall procedures and a lack of understanding customer needs. If a firmware fix is available then publish it on your website like every other SSD manufacturer and reseller has done. If you have a batch of SSDs in customers hands and you know their data is at risk, put out a press release and do everything you can to get those drives back. A post on your tech support page doesn't even come close to due diligence. Compounding the issues, Monster Digital removed the Daytona product page from their website all together. We did find the press release for Daytona on Monster's site and it was the last press release the company issued, on September 11 2012.
Not that I think it should really matter for anyone reading this article, but the performance of this drive is lacking. We're not sure if it's a combination of the NAND flash with the firmware or just a design that doesn't produce peak performance. In many of our tests, Daytona is slower than most other LSI SandForce SF-2281 based drives on the market.
Even with the firmware update that's posted at an unofficial source, we wouldn't buy this drive and we wouldn't recommend you buy it either. The saying about 'ten foot pole' comes to mind.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Package]
- Page 4 [Monster Digital Daytona 240GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - BootRacer]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- How Fallout 4's perk system might work
- The fully-optioned Tesla Model X electric SUV costs a huge $143,750
- Toshiba announces 12.5' Satellite Radius 12 2-in-1 convertible laptop
- Halo 5 opening cinematic teases a bunch of stuff you can't do in-game
- The new Nexus 5 will feature 1080p display, 6-core CPU and USB Type-C
- SanDisk Connect Stick 64GB Wireless Flash Drive Review
- GA-EP45-UD3R doesn't boot with Dual Channel (After Clean PC)
- carvedilol 3.125 mg information. Purchase online.
- Im happy I now signed up
- ASUSTOR AS5004T Four-Bay Consumer NAS Review
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015