Looking above you can see a run down on our testbed so we won't go into any more detail on that. Instead we'll quickly cover the boards that we'll be using in our graphs today before moving onto the overclocking side of things which is then of course followed up with the performance tests.
Outside of the ASRock Z77 Pro3 running at both stock and overclocked speeds, we've got the more expensive Z77 Extreme6 from ASRock, X79 Extreme4 and two options from ASUS which include the Maximus IV Extreme-Z and Maximus V GENE.
When it came to the overclocking side of things I wasn't too sure what to expect from such a cheap board, so we adjusted our voltages and started at a 45x multiplier which gave us an even 4.5GHz. We got into Windows and did some testing and didn't run in to any problems, so we headed back into the BIOS to try out the 46x Multiplier.
That also looked good so we moved it up to the 47x one which results in a 4.7GHz clock speed. We got into Windows no problem, but during our MediaEspresso encode, the program crashed out at 22%, meaning it was time to head back into the BIOS and take it back slightly.
We messed around with the 46x multiplier and BCLK a little, but we found the best place for our CPU on this board was simply at 46 x 100 which results in a 4.6GHz clock speed on our Intel i7 3770k CPU.
Let's get started!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Xbox wants to be the best place for devs to make money
- Amazon Prime now required for new Twitch subscriptions
- NVIDIA shows how awesome Gears of War 4 looks in DX12
- Ubisoft says Nintendo will be 'back in the race' with NX
- Amazon developing sports game, sandbox MMO, survival MMO
- Acer Chromebook R11 Review
- ASRock Z87 EXTREME4 won't restart - debug code 4F
- ASUS X99-Deluxe II Motherboard Review
- U.2 Kit on Taichi
- Z170X-Gaming 5 - Thunderbolt controller + Intel RST drivers issue.
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now