Our load tests utilize a couple of FAST ATE active load testers and a variety of other equipment such as an oscilloscope, power conditioner, temperature probe and a power consumption meter. You can read more about our standard testing approach here.
The tests performed are based around six conceivable setups that are out there and progressively load down the PSU up to the power supply's limits or 1000W, whichever comes first. Since our test equipment's limits are greater than that of the be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 850W, we can test it to the maximum.
Let's start by taking a look at the voltages to see how well this unit did during testing. Starting with the 12V rail, we see 2% regulation from start to finish. The 12V rail showed a total drop of .14V from start to finish. The 5V rail did better and managed to stay within 1% of specification with a total drop of .03V from start to finish. Moving towards the 3.3V rail, we see that regulation was still within 2% with a total voltage drop of .04V.
DC output quality was close to what we expected and overall very good. We started off seeing 19mV of ripple on the 12V rail during Test 1. As we increased the loads, the ripple had increased to 27mV at a little over half load. By the time we had the maximum load of 850W we were seeing 35mV of noise.
The be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 850W is rated for 80Plus Platinum efficiency. This means that the power supply must perform at 90%/92%/89% efficiency at 20%/50%/100% loads respectively. As you can see, the be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 850W passed on our bench and wasn't close to failing at any point.
be quiet! had a very big hurdle to overcome with the Dark Power Pro 10 850W power supply and that was the very high hurdle they had to overcome. The Dark Power Pro 10 550W set the bar incredibly high to start with and is close to being the bar level that everyone should be shooting to meet or exceed when designing a power supply. Thanks to their close work with Seasonic, be quiet! has done it once again and have an amazing power supply with the Dark Power Pro 10 850W.
The performance out of the unit is phenomenal. Voltage regulation was spectacular, especially on the 5V rail. It isn't every day that you find a power supply that manages to stay within 1% of specification and I think we have only seen a few over the past several years capable of doing so. If there was one single thing that be quiet! could do to improve the performance of their power supply, it would be to reduce the noise on the 12V rail. While 35mV is still low for an 850W power supply, we've seen others score lower and know it is possible. Efficiency is about as good as it gets for now as the 80Plus organization doesn't even have a rating for above Platinum when using 115V input.
It's fair to say that be quiet! is going to rise through the ranks of power supply manufacturers very quickly once they get some publicity and people are aware of their name. Their power supplies are some of the best we have ever seen.There's just one thing that we can't do with this power supply and that is recommend it enough. If you get a chance to get your hands on one of the new Dark Power Pro 10 power supplies, don't pass it up - they are that good.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- iOS 9 now has Tweetbot 4 support on iPad and iPhone
- Helpful Chrome extension lets you play GIFs in Google Search
- Team manager sets out to create eSports player union
- Elon Musk wasn't joking about this plan to 'nuke Mars'
- Valve employee proposes to his wife in VR using the HTC Vive headset
- Why will my video card not work?
- M.2 Drive not showing up.
- Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 Stabilty Issue!!!
- Tesoro Lobera Spectrum RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Gigabyte Windows 10 driver updates, Utilities...
- MASSIVE AUDIO Introduces DOCTOR WHO Bluetooth And Wired Headphones
- BOXX Introduces the World's Smallest Overclocked Workstation - APEXX 1
- AOC's New Full HD USB Monitor Makes the Perfect Laptop or Desktop Companion
- Feel the Power and Speed Inside Your Laptop NOX DDR4 64GB 3000MHz SO-DIMM The True Champion
- Creative Team Behind Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood Launch New Clay Animated Video Game, Armikrog