High Quality AA and AF
While we test all our games with maximum in-game settings, turning on Anti-Aliasing (AA) and Antistrophic Filtering (AF) helps take the intensity of our testing to another level.
Here we see video cards go from playable FPS to an unplayable FPS and the real power houses continue to help break that 60 FPS mark we always aim for to provide a smooth gaming experience.
Cranking up the AA and AF detail under Mafia II we can see some excellent numbers with the HD 7970 GHz edition at 1920 x 1200 lining up with the GTX 680 4GB. As we move to 2560 x 1600 we do fall just under that 60 FPS we aim for, but it's equal first with the pre-overclocked GTX 680 from Gainward in this instance.
Again we see the AMD offerings perform very strong under Aliens vs. Predator with the HD 7970s being the only cards to be able to break that 60 FPS mark at 1920 x 1200. The GHz Edition of course sees a nice boost at both resolutions, but unfortunately it's not enough to bring our numbers up to a playable level at 2560 x 1600 in this instance.
Far Cry 2 with AA and AF on sees some good numbers at both resolutions and again we see at the highest resolution the HD 7970 GHz Edition is able to come out ahead of all our other cards here.
Metro 2033 again sees strong numbers from our AMD HD 7970 GHz edition and you can see it takes the lead at both resolutions. While our numbers aren't playable at 2560 x 1600, you can see our 1920 x 1200 numbers are really impressive.
Just Cause sees good performance gains again, but we're sitting between the GTX 670 and GTX 680 at 1920 x 1200 with some playable FPS. When we move to 2560 x 1600 we can see that while we again see some strong gains over the original HD 7970, we're below that 60 FPS mark. Again, though, when we move to the higher resolution we see performance of the HD 7970 GHz Edition be stronger and in this case you can see where we sat behind the GTX 680 at 1920 x 1200, we're actually ahead of it at 2560 x 1600.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Card and Specifications]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 17 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Quantum Break is exclusive to the Windows Store, won't reach Steam
- The PC Gaming Show is coming back, will take place during E3 2016
- Intel's unreleased 18-core Xeon CPU hits eBay for $999
- In case you missed it. ARK: Survival Evolved updated on Xbox One
- Twitch users spent 241 billion minutes watching games in 2015
- OCZ TRION 150 480GB SATA III SSD Review
- Any advice on redeeming Asus Promotions?
- Extreme Problem (not alone)
- Cougar 450K Hybrid Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- more a what's your opinion on motherboard replacement re: asus 1225b
- Phanteks Announces the Eclipse P400 and P400S Chassis
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Horus GK2000 Gaming Keyboard
- Logitech Announces the G810 Orion Spectrum Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
- ADATA Reveals HD650X and HD710M USB 3.0 External Hard Drives