The Radeon HD 7700 series wasn't kind to AMD due to the price of the series compared to current models still for sale under the HD 6800 series name and while the new HD 7800 series is a replacement to the HD 6800 series, the price point they'll come in at means they're going to be seen against the HD 6900 series.
The good thing about the HD 6900 series is that it pretty much no longer exists on the market, though. Unlike the HD 6800 series which is not only still being sold, but being sold in large quantities at super aggressive price points due to recent rebates.
While the HD 7700 series left us feeling overall pretty flat, the same can't be said for AMD's new HD 7900 series which offered us awesome performance. Along with strong numbers, though, we saw the new 28nm based cards run cooler, quieter and draw less power at both idle and load - they impressed us a lot.
We've got our fingers crossed that the HD 7800 series sits more in line with the HD 7900 series than it does the HD 7700 series. Considering AMD also have no older previous generation video cards at the $249 price point for the HD 7850 and $349 price point for the HD 7870, we're already off to a better start.
Of course what's really going to matter is the performance of the new model. Before we look at that, though, we need to see what's going on with the card itself. While we'd normally start off with the packaging, because we're dealing with a reference card from AMD, we don't have one. Once we've looked at the card and taken a closer look at the main specifications, we'll move into our testbed, which then of course leads us into the performance side of things.
Well, that just about covers that, so let's just take a closer look at the card and see what exactly is going on with this new series and model from AMD.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Survive 'The Walking Dead' in our latest Blu-ray giveaway
- Mortal Kombat X cancelled for the Xbox 360 and PS3
- Grand Theft Auto V 'ENBSeries' 4K screenshots will blow you away
- Just two of Intel's new Skylake CPUs are unlocked for overclocking
- Minecraft creator has 'never felt more isolated' with his $2.5 billion
- New network adapter making graphics card fail.
- x99 Extreme 4/3.1 Red Light + No Display
- Build Advice End of 2015 ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1
- X99 Extreme 6ac eSATA
- Until Dawn Sony PlayStation 4 Review
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20