Remove the overclocking out of the picture and the HIS HD 7970 is everything you'd expect from a reference card and this is ultimately a good thing as the out of the box performance on the HD 7970 is great and from a technology stand point, we've got lots of improvements and tweaks across the board.
Stepping away from the reference clocks, though, for a moment and checking out the overclock we've got, we're able to see the kind of potential we're able to get out of the model using just the reference cooler. What's important to note is that the overclock we're running today is 100% stable in all of our benchmarks.
This is important to note - we've seen sites bench as over 1200MHz on the core, we did it ourselves with the XFX HD 7970 Black Edition Double Dissipation, but we ran the fan at 100% and the only benchmark we did was 3DMark 11. When it comes to benchmarking other games you'll quickly find that your max clock in 3DMark 11 isn't exactly stable for everything.
Around the 1100 / 6100 QDR mark should be fairly reachable by most people. At this level you should also find that everything is playable at 2560 x 1600 at a solid 60 FPS. This is going to come at the cost of some extra heat, power draw and noise, but if you want to stretch the performance of your new HD 7970 even further, it's a good option.
If you want to just do some flat out benchmarking, then you can crank that fan speed up to an unbearable 100% and crank the clocks even further. With the overclocking range of the card, you can have a real blast doing some 3DMark 11 benchmarking because of the massive jump in score you're able to achieve when compared to the out of the box clocks.
If you want to get in on the HD 7970 action, you really can't go wrong with the HIS offering today. We really look forward to seeing what the company does later on, though, as they'll no doubt expand the popular IceQ line of cards with this new GPU from AMD.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and The Package]
- Page 2 [The Card & Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Das Keyboard takes $20 off keyboards, $0 shipping for holiday sales
- Remedy has finished the 'shivering' end scene in Quantum Break
- Razer injects chromatic flavor into Lenovo's new gaming PC lineup
- NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 900 series price drops for the holidays
- Rumor: Sony unlocks PS4's seventh core to boost performance
- New ASUS Notebook: Event Log flooding with Event ID 17 warnings from WHEA-Logger
- Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- NEed help setting bios
- Sharp GX-BT7 2.1-Channel Wireless Bluetooth Speaker Review
- D-Link DCS-2630L 1080p Ultra-Wide View IP Wi-Fi Camera Review
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis