Very few of our readers are going to be familiar with the Thortech name as it hasn't been around very long at all. A few may recognize the name as showing up while poking around a few of the online stores, but probably didn't give them much of a thought. What most of you will be surprised to know is that Thortech is a subsidiary of GeIL. GeIL announced in 2010 that it would start offering power supplies under the Thortech brand. Since then, the company has offered two lines of power supplies - the Thunderbolt series and Thunderbolt Plus series.
Today we are going to be taking a look at the Thunderbolt Plus 1000W power supply. It's packed full of features that place it square in the eyes of many enthusiasts and looks very good on paper. One of the key features of the Thunderbolt Plus series is that it offers an interactive 5.25" display that will tell you just about everything you'd like to know about the power supply such as load, efficiency, fan speed, temperature and more. Keep reading on to find out if GeIL's latest and greatest is all bark and no bite or if it lives up to what it says it can do.
Specifications, Availability and Pricing
GeIL gives the Thortech Thunderbolt Plus a huge single 12V rail capable of 83A of power. This should easily feed a pair of GPU's and the unit has the capability to supply power to up to four cards at once. Minor rails aren't short on power either, as each is capable of 24A for a combined total of 150W. Interesting to see is the slightly beefier 5VSB rail which is capable of 4A instead of the usual 3A. The extra amp is always welcome.
The Thortech Thunderbolt Plus easily fills our feature chart without any troubles at all. There is a full suite of protection available including Over Temperature Protection. The unit features both native and modular cables that are sleeved nicely. Rounding out some of the features, we find that the power supply is rated for 80Plus Gold efficiency and is capable of 100% continuous output at 50C.
We couldn't find the Thortech Thunderbolt Plus 1000W available for sale in the US or AU and Thortech didn't give us an MSRP on the unit either. We did however find several other Thortech PSU's for sale on Newegg and judging by the price difference between the Thunderbolt 850W and Thunderbolt Plus 800W, we would guess that the Thunderbolt Plus 1000W will cost somewhere between $260-$300. This is quite a hefty price for a 1000W unit, but if it performs well, it could be well worth it.
GeIL backs the Thortech Thunderbolt Plus with a five year warranty which is very good at any price point.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Battlegrounds' new patch: Early Access beats AAA games
- Corsair's Commander Pro controls all case fans, lighting
- Google's 4K digital whiteboard available for $5000
- Acer's new Predator Z35P: 35-inch 3440x1440 100Hz G-Sync
- Crackdown 3 coming to PC, is an Xbox Play Anywhere title
- C2750D4I won't get passed initializing 55
- Asus active pen (for T303UA)
- Alienware 15 R3 Laptop Storage Performance Investigation
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- Western Digital sets new standard with latest generation in popular HGST-brand Ultrastar SAS SSD family
- AMD raises expectations for server performance, unveils EPYC processor brand for the datacenter
- HighPoint's SSD7101 PCIe board-sized drive series integrate Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs to deliver groundbreaking performance over 12GB/s
- Micron accelerates all-flash storage speed, performance and value with new flexible petabyte-scale enterprise data center solution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 and 630 mobile platforms drive advanced photography, enhanced gaming, integrated connectivity and machine learning