I can't help myself - I've got to say it. I love the mITX platform. I know I say it every time I look at an mITX based motherboard, but it's just such a cool little form factor that's made so much cooler by the chipsets used on the boards these days.
The last mITX board we looked at carried the A75 based AMD chipset and it's the perfect chipset for this kind of platform, as it's awesome for those cheaper systems. The one before that used the H67 chipset and while a good chipset, it never got the attention that the P67 did, nor the new Z68.
Today, though, we look at the Z68M-ITX HT which as the name suggests, sports the Z68 chipset. This is no doubt one of the best chipsets around in the market thanks to its strong performance when teamed up with the current crop of LGA 1155 processors and the excellent price point boards carrying the said chipset come in at.
There's no point delaying anymore than we already have; we may as well get into the package to see what exactly ASRock is offering us. Once we've done that we'll take a closer look at the board itself before we get into the BIOS to see what's going on and see if there's any overclocking potential on offer from this tiny board.
Then the fun stuff begins and we get into the benchmarking side of things before we wrap everything up; but first, we must check out what's going on in the package.
The front and back of the box aren't anything new to us and give us the normal information. The front gives us the model number and a few logos while the back of the box does a good job of running down some of the major features that are on offer from the board.
For the most part when moving inside the package we don't see anything we're not really used to. We've got a manual, driver CD, 3.5mm AUX cable, two SATA ports along with an I/O back plate.
Of course, we said for the most part there's nothing we're not used to, but there is one thing that stands out and that's the inclusion of a media center remote and remote receiver. What I love is that ASRock have also given us the batteries; there's nothing more annoying than getting something home to find out that you need to go and buy batteries for it.
The addition of the Media Remote really lets us know where exactly the board is targeted, though, and no doubt it's for people who are looking for a small HTPC motherboard that has the potential to offer some excellent power. We'll find out if it sits in that group well and if it can be used for someone who just wants to build a small system that can put out some strong FPS.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Motherboard]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard Continued]
- Page 4 [BIOS]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [USB 2.0 and 3.0 Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 12 [Temperature and Power]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Harrison Ford has seen 'Force Awakens' final cut
- Nintendo's 'Mario Kart' eSports show coming to DisneyXD channel
- MSI Z170A Krait motherboard includes Rainbow Six Siege, new design
- GeForce 359.06 driver prepares you for Just Cause 3, Rainbow Six Siege
- Chrome Data Saver mode now reduces data usage up to 70%
- conroe 1333dvi/h beta bios
- Tenda AC15 AC1900 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Q9550 P5Q Pro overclock
- Asrock 970 Pro3 R2 Freezes Randomnly
- Foscam FI9821P 720p HD Wireless IP Camera Review
- Nokia Technologies announces commercial availability of OZO virtual reality camera
- SingEx Exhibitions Expands Footprint in China with Partnership to Launch IoT China
- IGEL UDC2 now converts enterprise-class Dell Wyse thin clients
- Technology and Innovation Key to Cost Reduction and Capital Efficiency as Companies Strive to Meet Future Energy Demand, IHS Says
- Patriot Introduces 128GB Compact USB Flash Drives for Optimal Portable Storage Solutions