Alongside the launch of the new AMD 990FX chipset, I think most people would like to be seeing the next generation of AMD CPUs come with it. As AMD don't hop around changing the socket every 5 minutes like Intel, though, the interesting thing is, that while we've got a delay in the Bulldozer line of CPUs the 990FX based motherboards can still be released.
What's interesting is that AMD and its partners don't seem all that keen on getting the new 990FX based boards reviewed. There are two major features that the new 990FX chipset offer; SLI and Bulldozer CPU support, neither of which we'll be looking at today. The reason for this is because one isn't released, and the other isn't going to be nearly appreciated as much using CPU architecture that has been around for ages now.
Without Bulldozer, a comparison of the new chipset against Intel's Sandy Bridge platform will look incredibly negative from a performance perspective. The latest chipset isn't aimed at users who are looking at picking up a Phenom II X6; instead it's for people who want to jump on the Bulldozer bandwagon that we should see passing through sooner rather than later.
It's for that reason that we won't be comparing any 990FX based boards to Intels current Sandy Bridge platform. The 990FX chipset is only half of what will make up the new platform from AMD that will take on the Sandy Bridge platform. The 990FX and the Phenom II X6 1100T we've got today isn't designed to go head to head with Sandy Bridge, instead the 990FX and Bulldozer CPUs are.
Of course, when we finally get our hot little hands on a Bulldozer CPU, we will see how that platform goes against the Sandy Bridge platform. For today, though, we'll instead look at what the AMD 990FX chipset offers us via the very sexy looking ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula. We'll start by looking at the package before taking the time to have a closer look at the motherboard itself. Once that's done, we'll get into the BIOS to see what's going on, cover some overclocking and then check out what kind of performance the board is giving us with the Phenom II X6 1100T.
Being part of the Republic of Gamers series, the package is pretty full on with an absolute heap of information on the box covering some of the main features the Crosshair V Formula offers. Opened up, we can also get a bit of a sneak peak at the board itself.
Inside we've got lots of bits and pieces with paperwork, driver CD and some stickers that let us label devices. In the cable department we've got our ROG Connect cable, six SATA cables, I/O back plate, Q-Connector kit, SLI and CrossFire cables along with a 3-Way SLI bridge.
It's not a massive package, but it's indeed larger than what we see from a lot of other motherboard companies. With that out the way, though, let's take the time to have a closer look at the board itself.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Apple's worth jumps 43% to $170 billion, still world's top brand
- Facebook will zap free internet to Africa via satellite
- Spurned Pokemon fan raises $4000 to pay for copyright fine
- Jack Dorsey reprises role as Twitter's CEO
- New writers board 'Gran Turismo' feature film
- Buffalo TeraStation 5200 Windows Storage Server Review
- USB 3.0 (or even 3.1) header availability for Armorsuit PC-P60?
- Project Core XD
- ASROCK FM2A88X-ITX+ No video first boot
- Hi I Really Need Advice as to Where I Can Find Genuine Asmedia Drivers?
- MASSIVE AUDIO Introduces DOCTOR WHO Bluetooth And Wired Headphones
- BOXX Introduces the World's Smallest Overclocked Workstation - APEXX 1
- AOC's New Full HD USB Monitor Makes the Perfect Laptop or Desktop Companion
- Feel the Power and Speed Inside Your Laptop NOX DDR4 64GB 3000MHz SO-DIMM The True Champion
- Creative Team Behind Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood Launch New Clay Animated Video Game, Armikrog