The way the Crossfire line-up sits at the moment is very good. Between the HD 6850 to the HD 6970 you've got nice gaps between the incremental increases in price and depending what you want to spend, you're going to get some strong performance no matter what.
From the HD 6850 CF setup you've got two cards that perform stronger than a single GTX 580, even if it is just. As you move up, though, we see the lead on the setups become greater and greater and while the HD 6850 CF setup might be the best valued, the best all round value would have to be this one.
Its performance gains are strong and it didn't struggle in any of our games. Across the board we saw strong scaling that resulted in averages above 60 FPS at the highest resolution. On a whole it's a good chunk of change cheaper than the HD 6970 CF setup which offers great frame rates, but probably nothing that's going to make your overall game experience better due to the minimums and averages being seen on the setup we have here today.
Of course, later down the track as games become more intensive the HD 6970 setup might become more appealing, but if you consider that most gamers are probably looking at 1680 x 1050 or 1920 x 1200 / 1080 then this setup should cover you anyway.
On to the actual card itself; the HIS one doesn't really give us anything new or anything we didn't expect to see. The thing is it's not a bad thing, as we know companies can't do much outside of reference around launch time, and more importantly the price is strong.
Pick up one HIS HD 6950 2GB and you won't be disappointed. Pick up two, though, and you'll be ecstatic. There's some serious performance here when you throw two of these bad boys together and you're really going to appreciate the frame rates later down the track.
We said that the single HD 6950 painted only part of the picture; consider another part now painted and let's just say that the picture is looking great.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.