Close to a month ago we took a look at the Corsair Force 40GB SSD powered by the fabulous SandForce SF-1200 controller and determined it to be fast, but without a desktop adapter the value was lacking for some users. Today we are looking at a nearly identical drive, but this time the cost of ownership is lower and the overall cost is reduced with the inclusion of a 2.5 to 3.5" desktop adapter bracket.
The new class of small, fast and cheap SSDs might get a nose raised at them from existing SSD users, but if you already own a SSD these drives aren't made for you. The G.Skill Phoenix Pro 40GB is an entry level SSD designed to get this amazing technology in the hands of those who are either still skeptical to spend the big money on a larger drive SSD, or those financially challenged. In these days of recession and a possible double dip recession, there are enough enthusiasts in this category. When it really comes down to it, I would choose a small SSD over a large platter drive any day and that is what G.Skill is counting on.
G.Skill isn't new to low cost drives. Just about every time we reviewed a G.Skill SSD it was priced lower than all or most of the competing drives in its category. Can the 40GB Phoenix Pro keep that same title? That is what we are going to find out today.
Specifications, Pricing and Availability
The latest Phoenix Pro highlight isn't shown on the specifications sheet. The price is where the action is at as Team SandForce companies try to get their 40GB offering as close to 100 USD as possible. G.Skill was able to get very close to the target with Newegg. Newegg currently lists the 40GB Phoenix Pro at 119.99 USD. At this time the Phoenix Pro is the lowest cost SandForce controlled 40GB drive currently offered at Newegg, a feature that outshines anything on the specification sheet.
When it comes to the actual specs, we see that the drive is capable of delivering performance very close to that of the larger capacity SandForce drives. With 280 MB/s read and 270 MB/s write speed, the Phoenix Pro nearly maxes out the SATA II bus and the high IOPS programming is able to deliver up to 50,000 IOPS.
To add value to the Phoenix Pro, G.Skill has included at 2.5 to 3.5" desktop adapter bracket; something that we are seeing included with many of these low cost 40GB drives.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [The Packaging]
- Page 3 [The G.Skill Phoenix Pro 40GB SSD]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Everest Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Crystal Disk Mark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo Switch is single-screen only, says Nintendo
- Nintendo Switch gets a much-needed splash of color
- Skyrim Remaster mods limited to 1GB on PS4
- Monster Hunter Nintendo Direct incoming
- AMD drops price on Radeon RX 460, RX 470 graphics cards
- HyperX ALLOY FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Independence Day Resurgence 4K Blu-ray Review
- Battlefield 1 Multiplayer Gameplay Thoughts
- GA-PH67A-UD3-B3 Resume fail after suspend with Linux
- h61m-dgs gigabyte not see DDR_A1
- BIOSTAR unveils its GeForce GTX 1060 dual-fan video cards
- Manli announces GeForce GTX 1050 Gallardo Series video cards
- Eurocom launches the ultrathin 15.6' Sky M5 R2 VR Ready gaming laptop with Intel Core i7 6700HQ, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB GDDR5), 4G LTE support, 64 GB DDR4 memory, 6 TB SSD storage
- ENERMAX releases Steelwing aluminum case
- ENERMAX Platimax D.F. PSU is available now