The GTX 460 has two niggling issues for myself; the first is the fact the mid range model carries with it the need to use two 6-Pin PCI-E power connectors. I understand it's not a big deal and it's not a deal breaker, but it would've been nice if it didn't require the two connectors since the card is aimed at the mid range market.
The second issue I have with the series and not the MSI version of the card would be the fact it just kills the GTX 465. The price of the GTX 460 when overclocked and its performance is just amazing and it really makes you wonder why you would buy a GTX 465. Really, if you had just bought one I wouldn't be too impressed at all.
Saying that, though, word through the grape vine is that the GTX 465 hasn't been selling well for NVIDIA partners and the release of the GTX 460 also means the GTX 465 is getting an aggressive price drop. We're not 100% sure about this, but it's just some whispers we've heard so it wouldn't surprise us as it really makes sense.
Outside of those few niggling issues, though, let's talk about the positive things about the card. Well, if I had to put it in a single word, that word would be everything. Honestly, MSI have come out the gate with a nice overclock on the card which gives us simply awesome performance. They've slapped on a new cooler on which is quiet and does a fantastic job of keeping temperatures down and they've done this for under $200.
The GTX 460 is just INSANE! and anyone who had doubts about what NVIDIA was capable of shouldn't be worried. This card is just amazing and really brings a huge amount of life into the GTX 400 series. This model just has to go berserk for NVIDIA and its partners. This is also a massive blow to the ATI line up. It really ruins the value of the HD 5750, HD 5770, HD 5830 and HD 5850 which have been some of the best valued cards on the market for months.
We're now going to see one or two things from ATI, massive price drops and/or new models. All I can say is that NVIDIA is hungry for success in the video card market and with models like these they're going to be able to achieve it because while NVIDIA might not be going great in the high end segment with the GTX 470 and GTX 480, the bottom line is that the mid range series is where companies make money and achieve market share.
Normally you need to be great at the top end for people to have belief in your mid range and low, but the bottom line is that the GTX 460 stands out on its own as a beaming ray of hope for anyone who wants value.
I couldn't say anything else about the GTX 460 and the MSI Cyclone version of the card. It's simply awe inspiring. I look forward to a very good fight in the run to Christmas 2010. On your marks; get set; GO!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - BattleForge]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Dark Void]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Badaboom]
- Page 17 [Temperature Test]
- Page 18 [Sound Test]
- Page 19 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 20 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 21 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 22 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Huawei launches new nova 2 with dual rear camera
- Nintendo shares skyrocket to 8-year high
- Alienware Aurora reach reasonable price for Memorial Day
- GTA Online earns big for Take-Two
- Red Dead Redemption 2 built from scratch for consoles
- Asrock X99 Extreme11 reports only 48GB instead of 64 GB
- H270m Pro4 Can't boot with my SSD, stuck on splash
- Gigabyte z170 UD5: Question about Voltage Spikes/Offset
- ASRock AliveXFire-esata2 compatibility with Phenom II X4 980
- m4a88td-m/usb3 & Windows 10
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017