Disk Drive Controller
The system drive controller is an important part of system performance. In most modern boards your drive controller will run off of the PCI-e bus. The PCI-e bus performance can be affected by poor trace layout as well as many other design choices that show up on different boards.
For testing we use both Everest and SiSoft's Sandra.
For Sandra we did not see much improvement between our overclocked and stock CPUs speeds. The same is true between the Core i7 and Core i5.
Our Everest testing only confirms what we saw with SiSoft Sandra. There is very little performance difference between the platforms.
Marvell SATA 6G Controller
For testing with the SATA 6G controller we used a Kingston SSD Now V+ 128GB SSD drive. We set this up on both the Intel controller and the Marvel. As we mentioned above we hit some performance issues when we ran it in the logical choice of the existing PCI-e x1 slot. This is (according to ASRock) an issue with the way the drivers deal with the Generation 1 PCI-e slot there.
However, once we followed their suggestion of putting it in one of the Generation 2 slots our performance went right back up to where it should be, although the Intel SATA controller still is faster. Once we can get our hands on a SATA 6G drive, we will be sure to return to this controller and see what (if any) performance gains there are.
Moving on now to our other tests.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ARMS sells over 100,000 copies in Japan in first week
- Titanfall 2 may hit 6K on Xbox One X with 100% GPU usage
- Take-Two relents on singleplayer GTA mods
- 47% of gamers spend money while playing games
- MSI Afterburner now has hardware plot graphics
- The Mummy Movie Review
- Computer freeze and audio buzz issue
- AZZA Photios 250 Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Team T-Force Dark ROG DDR4-3000 16GB Memory Kit Review
- GA-X58A-UD3R wake on lan problem
- Logitech Circle 2 will be compatible with Amazon Echo Show
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1517 and DS1817
- Deep Silver and 4A Games are proud to announce Metro Exodus
- Microsoft premieres Xbox One X, world's most powerful console
- Phison gears up for mobile phone market with PS8226 3D NAND eMMC 5.1 controller