Disk Drive Controller
The system drive controller is an important part of system performance. In most modern boards your drive controller will run off of the PCI-e bus. The PCI-e bus performance can be affected by poor trace layout as well as many other design choices that show up on different boards.
For testing we use both Everest and SiSoft's Sandra.
For Sandra we did not see much improvement between our overclocked and stock CPUs speeds. The same is true between the Core i7 and Core i5.
Our Everest testing only confirms what we saw with SiSoft Sandra. There is very little performance difference between the platforms.
Marvell SATA 6G Controller
For testing with the SATA 6G controller we used a Kingston SSD Now V+ 128GB SSD drive. We set this up on both the Intel controller and the Marvel. As we mentioned above we hit some performance issues when we ran it in the logical choice of the existing PCI-e x1 slot. This is (according to ASRock) an issue with the way the drivers deal with the Generation 1 PCI-e slot there.
However, once we followed their suggestion of putting it in one of the Generation 2 slots our performance went right back up to where it should be, although the Intel SATA controller still is faster. Once we can get our hands on a SATA 6G drive, we will be sure to return to this controller and see what (if any) performance gains there are.
Moving on now to our other tests.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Rogue One looks great, even in a fan-made VHS commercial
- Intel working on next-gen Xeon with 32C/64T of power
- Xbox boss: first-party Project Scorpio games 'critical'
- Apple rumored to consider purchasing Disney
- In Win launches X-Frame 2.0, tou 2.0 Signature chassis
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- Gigabyte Aorus z270x Gaming 9 Motherboard Bios Code: bcc0
- New Mobo and my W10 Install?
- Just finished my PC-011 Build
- ASUS M51Vr Notebook. Long story.
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse