Disk Drive Controller
The system drive controller is an important part of system performance. In most modern boards your drive controller will run off of the PCI-e bus. The PCI-e bus performance can be affected by poor trace layout as well as many other design choices that show up on different boards.
For testing we use both Everest and SiSoft's Sandra.
For Sandra we did not see much improvement between our overclocked and stock CPUs speeds. The same is true between the Core i7 and Core i5.
Our Everest testing only confirms what we saw with SiSoft Sandra. There is very little performance difference between the platforms.
Marvell SATA 6G Controller
For testing with the SATA 6G controller we used a Kingston SSD Now V+ 128GB SSD drive. We set this up on both the Intel controller and the Marvel. As we mentioned above we hit some performance issues when we ran it in the logical choice of the existing PCI-e x1 slot. This is (according to ASRock) an issue with the way the drivers deal with the Generation 1 PCI-e slot there.
However, once we followed their suggestion of putting it in one of the Generation 2 slots our performance went right back up to where it should be, although the Intel SATA controller still is faster. Once we can get our hands on a SATA 6G drive, we will be sure to return to this controller and see what (if any) performance gains there are.
Moving on now to our other tests.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MacBook Pro GPU issues caused by software, not AMD
- HP's new supercomputer is 8000x faster than your PC
- AMD's Zen-capable X370 boards preview on December 13
- AMD's next-gen Vega 10 leaks - are they the real deal?
- Don't press new 'Guardians of the Galaxy' trailer button
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset