Pulling the card out of the box, we don't see anything that we haven't really seen before. Length wise we come in at the same size as the HD 4850 and we see the typical red PCB that we've become accustomed to.
MSI has opted for a larger single fan directly on top of the core that manages to make the card a dual-slot one. As far as the overall fan design goes, there isn't anything too fancy going on with no heat-pipes present or even direct contact with the memory modules.
Having a quick look around the card, we continue to see nothing out of the ordinary. Towards the back we have a single 6-pin PCI Express power connector and across the top of the card we have two Crossfire connectors.
As far as the I/O side of things goes, we have two Dual-Link DVI connectors and a single TV-Out port. As mentioned, the card is a dual-slot one and we can see there are some vents for the heat to escape.
The HD 4850 and HD 4830 share a lot of common features; both are based on the RV770 with 16 ROPs, have 956 million transistors and both cards also run 512MB of GDDR3 and a 256-bit memory bus.
Where the cards begin to differ are the 640 shaders on the HD 4830 versus 800 on the HD 4850 along with the lower clock rates of 575MHz on the core and 1800MHz DDR on the memory. As mentioned, this card from MSI is overclocked and has had a 10MHz bump on the core, bringing it to 585MHz.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Crysis Warhead]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Left 4 Dead]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict - XP]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2 - XP]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky - XP]
- Page 16 [Temperature & Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.