NVIDIA (NASDAQ: NVDA) today reported revenue of $1.02 billion for the second quarter of fiscal 2012 ended July 31, 2011, up 5.7 percent from the prior quarter, and up 25.3 percent from $811.2 million in the same period a year earlier. On a GAAP basis, the company recorded net income of $151.6 million, or $0.25 per diluted share, for the second quarter of fiscal 2012. This includes a two-cent dilutive impact from the Icera acquisition. It compares with net income of $135.2 million, or $0.22 per diluted share, in the prior quarter. In the same period a year earlier, the company had a net loss of $141.0 million, or $0.25 per diluted share.
On a non-GAAP basis -- which excludes stock-based compensation, amortization of acquisition-related intangible assets, other acquisition related costs, and the tax impact associated with these items -- net income was $193.5 million, or $0.32 per diluted share. That compares with net income of $165.7 million, or $0.27 per diluted share, in the prior quarter, and net income of $47.6 million, $0.08 per share, in the same period a year earlier.
GAAP gross margin was 51.7 percent, a fourth consecutive record, compared with 50.4 percent in the previous quarter and 16.6 percent in the same period a year earlier. Non-GAAP gross margin, at 51.9 percent, was also a record, and compares with 50.6 percent in the prior quarter and 39.2 percent in the same period a year earlier.
"We grew solidly this quarter," said Jen-Hsun Huang, NVIDIA president and chief executive officer. "Consumer demand for notebooks powered by our GeForce GPU, with its unique Optimus technology, resulted in record revenue for these products.
"The future of computing is mobile and visual. With Tegra's momentum and our growing GPU businesses, we are ideally positioned to lead the industry forward," he said.
Our outlook for the third quarter of fiscal 2012 is as follows:
Revenue is expected to be up 4 to 6 percent from the second quarter
GAAP and non-GAAP gross margins are expected to be flat
GAAP operating expenses are expected to be in the range of $361 million to $366 million; non-GAAP operating expenses are expected to be $319 million to $321 million
Our GAAP and non-GAAP tax rates are both expected to be 15 to 17 percent
We estimate depreciation and amortization for the second quarter to be approximately $53 million to $57 million. Capital expenditures are expected to be in the range of $25 to $35 million.
Diluted shares for the third quarter are expected to be approximately 615 million.
Note: this outlook now includes Icera.
Second Quarter Fiscal 2012 and Recent Highlights:
NVIDIA completed the Icera acquisition on June 10, 2011.
NVIDIA launched the GeForce GTX 580M for gaming notebooks.
Optimus, our notebook power-saving technology, is now available through our whole range of GPUs, top to bottom, and across three generations.
NVIDIA Tesla processors power the fastest supercomputer in Russia.
NVIDIA and its partners launched six new Tegra-based superphones (up from two in the previous quarter), including the Motorola Photon 4G and Samsung Galaxy R; and four new tablets, including the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.
Commentary on the quarter by Karen Burns, NVIDIA interim chief financial officer, is available at http://www.nvidia.com/ir.
Latest News Posts
- Destiny 2 content timed exclusive to PS4 until 2018
- Destiny 2 trailer shows Cabal invading Last City
- AMD's 12C/24T and 16C/32T CPUs called 'ThreadRipper'
- FMV games are coming back with Late Shift on April 18
- First Dolby Vision 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs announced
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Edition 8G Review
- Cannot get rid of Asus Secure Delete
- NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- Window side panel for PC-V1020
- MSI announces frosty limited edition Trident 3 Arctic gaming PC
- ADATA adds the i-Memory AI920 jet black flash drive
- FinalWire releases AIDA64 Extreme 5.90 benchmark software
- ASUS announces support for Intel Optane memory
- Thermaltake releases new View 28 RGB Gull-Wing window ATX mid-tower chassis series with Tt LCS Certified and unique 256-color RGB matrix design