Auto-complete and auto-suggest introduced in newest Opera Mini and Opera Mobile
Oslo, Norway - June 30, 2011
We feel you! Typing on mobile devices can be a pain. Just like our users, we at Opera Software would like to do as little typing on small screens as possible. As we are no fans of everyday annoyances, Opera today launched new versions of their browsers for mobile devices to make its users' lives easier.
We listened to you and added suggestions. Search suggestions from Google and Yandex complement smarter domain recognition in this version update. With the Opera Mini 6.1 and Opera Mobile 11.1 browsers, using the Web on your phone is even easier, as the built-in search field will now show suggestions as you type and save you hassle on the go.
The Opera Mini and Opera Mobile browsers not only complete your search queries, they also adapt to your surfing habits. With the new top-level domain learning feature, new top-level domains such as .uk, .ru and .id are picked up by the browser so you can type less, next time around.
"We have a saying at Opera: Listen to our users," said Dag Olav Norem, VP Product Management, Opera Software. "As a company, we are constantly listening to our users on what they want in their browser. So, to our most vocal consumers, thank you and keep the feedback coming!"
Same, same but different
So what is the difference between the Opera Mini and the Opera Mobile browsers? They look very much the same to the user, but underneath the slick user interface, there is a world of difference.
The Opera Mini browser uses Opera servers to transcode and compress webpages by up to 90% before they are sent to the device. It always sends your web server traffic securely. Due to Opera Mini's data compression, it will work on almost any phone and will always be faster than the alternatives - cheaper too. It's on: Java (J2ME), BlackBerry, S60, Android, and iOS.
The Opera Mobile browser is a full-fledged internet browser that does all the heavy lifting on your phone itself. It shares the same rendering engine as that for Opera for desktop, bringing leading HTML5 support to smartphones and tablets. It's the ultimate choice for smartphone browsing when on fast and free connections. On the Opera Mobile browser, compression can be enabled / disabled as you prefer. It's available on: Android, S60, Win7 Desktop, and MeeGo devices.
The beauty is in the standards
Opera Software is an avid supporter of web standards, making life easier for developers and end users.
Opera Mobile is built around a common core that all Opera browsers share, Opera Presto. With Opera Mobile 11.1, an upgrade to Opera Presto means better standards support and improved performance for end users. In Opera Mobile 11.1, the CSS support now includes multi-columns and linear gradients right on your mobile phone.
The Opera Mini and Opera Mobile browsers are available as free downloads at m.opera.com and in the Android Market.
More screen shots can be downloaded at http://www.opera.com/media/presskit/presskit-Mini6.1-Mobile11.1.zip
About Opera Software ASA
The worldwide World Wide Web. Any device, any platform, any bandwidth, absolutely anywhere in the world - Opera Software was founded in 1994, based on the idea that access to the Web should be a universal right. Opera Software ASA is listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol OPERA. 200 million people (and counting) are using the Opera, Opera Mobile and Opera Mini browsers. Participation changes everything. Learn more about Opera at http://www.opera.com.
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft opens up cross-platform Office support for Android apps
- SpaceX will be able to launch US national security payloads into orbit
- Phanteks adds Titanium Green to its Enthoo Pro line of cases
- Microsoft opens up Cortana for Google Android, Apple iOS devices
- Not looking forward to standardized testing? DDoS the school instead
- Mobo Software Question (SB X-Fi 7)
- Hounds Online: The Last Hope Released
- Board damaged by power supply?
- DVD drive seen in Windows 8.1 but not in BIOS
- ID-Cooling SE 214X CPU Cooler Review
- CoolIT Systems Successfully Deploys Liquid-Cooled Solution to Poznan Supercomputing & Networking Center in Partnership with Huawei and Itprojekt
- Technology Business Research joins executive roundtable addressing the business impact of data analysis
- Silicon Power Is Holding the 2015 Annual Exhibition in June
- Transcend to Showcase Car Video Recorders, Body Camera and Industrial Solutions at COMPUTEX TAIPEI 2015
- AccelStor Debuting All-Flash Arrays with 1M+ IOPS at Computex 2015