SUNNYVALE, Calif. -6/7/2011
Since the launch of the AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform in 2010, AMD (NYSE: AMD) has continued to work with its OEM and channel partners to add to the platform's portfolio. The AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform's virtualization muscle has been noted in products such as the award-winning Dell PowerEdge R815 and the HP ProLiant DL585 G7. The AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform's compatibility with the next generation 16-core processor, codenamed "Interlagos," has gained the attention of customers in the early adopting world of high performance computing.
"Our partners continue to offer great examples of how the AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform can deliver superior virtualization within an impressive power and thermal footprint," said Patrick Patla, vice president and general manager, Server and Embedded Business, AMD. "The AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform offers budget conscious IT managers performance and value today and the promise of a future 16-core drop-in upgrade."
AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform-based systems powered by AMD Opteron 6100 Series processors are available from OEMs and system builders including Acer, AMAX, Appro, Colfax, Cray Inc., Dawning, Dell, HP, IBM, Microway, NCS Technologies, Penguin, Rausch Netzwerktechnik, SGI, Silicon Mechanics, ZT Systems and more. In the past few months, new systems have been introduced by these partners, including:
- Acer GR385, Acer GR585, Gateway GW 2000h
- AMAX AH-1103 appliance
- Cray XE6m supercomputer
- Dell PowerEdge C6145, Dell PowerEdge M915
- HP ProLiant SL165s
- NCS NexServ ARM-6241
- SGI Altix ® Ice 8400
- Silicon Mechanics: Storform nServ A513, A515, A516, A518
Customer Demand for Core-Rich Systems
- HECToR, the UK's national supercomputing service, is upgrading all of the supercomputer's processors to the soon-to-be-released AMD Opteron processors codenamed "Interlagos." Cray will implement the expansion and upgrade later this year.
- Cray has signed a contract with the Swiss National Supercomputing Centre (CSCS) to upgrade its current Cray XT5 system, nicknamed "Monte Rosa" to a Cray XE6 system. The Monte Rosa system at CSCS will be upgraded with Cray's Gemini system interconnect and the soon-to-be-released AMD Opteron processors codenamed "Interlagos."
- Idaho National Labs has announced that their "Fission" supercomputer is based on 12,512 AMD Opteron cores in an Appro Xtreme-X Supercomputer, allowing the energy research lab to more quickly and accurately model projects like 3D nuclear reactor rods.
- Cray unveils new GPU-based system - the Cray XK6 supercomputer: The soon-to-be-released AMD Opteron processors, codenamed "Interlagos", will be part of a tightly-integrated supercomputing system upgradeable to more than 50 petaflops (quadrillions of operations/second) of compute power.
- The Astronomy Department of the University of São Paulo has selected the SGI® Altix® ICE 8400 for its high performance computing (HPC) system to enable advanced scientific astronomical research in Brazil. The SGI® Altix® ICE 8400 will contain AMD Opteron 6100 Series processors.
Recent Benchmarks and Awards
- VMmark 2.0 Score: The HP ProLiant DL585 G7, based on the AMD Opteron 6100 Series processors, has a score of 9.91 @ 13 tiles.
◦ DL585 G7 VMmark 2.0 entry available here: http://www.vmware.com/a/assets/vmmark/pdf/2011-03-08-HP-DL585G7.pdf
◦ Posted VMmark 2.0 scores can be found here: http://www.vmware.com/a/vmmark/
- Dell PowerEdge C6145, based on the AMD Opteron 6100 Series processors: The World's Highest Performing 2U Server1
- The SmallBizWindows Server of the Year 2010: HP ProLiant DL385 G7
AMD (NYSE: AMD) is a semiconductor design innovator leading the next era of vivid digital experiences with its groundbreaking AMD Fusion Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) that power a wide range of computing devices. AMD's server computing products are focused on driving industry-leading cloud computing and virtualization environments. AMD's superior graphics technologies are found in a variety of solutions ranging from game consoles, PCs to supercomputers. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance