WD® Ships Second-Generation Green Hard Drives With Significantly Improved Power Efficiency And Performance
WD's Best Selling Eco-friendly WD Caviar® Green Drive Continues to be the Most Power-Efficient, Coolest and Quietest 3.5-inch Hard Drive in the Market
Sydney, Australia - October 21 2008 - WD today announced the second-generation of its highly popular and environmentally friendly WD® Caviar® Green desktop hard drives, which feature the company's GreenPower technology to significantly reduce power consumption, compared with standard hard drives. The new platform is based on WD's 333 GB/platter technology with 32 MB cache, producing capacities ranging from 500 GB to 1 TB .
As an innovative leader in green storage technology, WD has ramped up its successful GreenPower technology-based hard drives to greater than 10 percent of its 3.5-inch hard drive shipments in the initial twelve months of production, making low-power technologies one of WD's fastest growing segments and WD Caviar Green one of the most successful new products in the company's recent history.
WD's latest WD Caviar Green hard drives consume up to 20 percent less power and offer a 10 percent increase in performance over the previous version , while continuing to provide the market with hard drives enabling quieter and cooler-running desktop PCs and external storage devices.
"WD's first-to-market offering of green technology has generated positive customer experience, while lessening the burden on our natural resources," said Don Bennett, vice president and general manager of WD's desktop business unit. "Compared with competitive drives, customers realize a reduction in power consumption, leading to less heat generation, which enables greater long-term reliability in all applications."
Cool, Quiet Hard Drives
The following technologies enable WD's Caviar Green hard drives:
IntelliPower - A fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance. Additionally, GreenPower drives consume less current during startup allowing lower peak loads on systems as they are booted.
IntelliSeek - Calculates optimum seek speeds to lower power consumption, noise, and vibration.
NoTouch ramp load technology - Designed to ensure the recording head never touches the disk media resulting in significantly less wear to the recording head and media, as well as better drive protection in transit.
Manufacturer: Western Digital
Product Name: WD Caviar Green 1 TB hard drives (model: WD10EADS)
RRP for 1 TB : AU$259, NZ$285
Product link and Photos: http://wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=559
Australian Distributors: Achieva, Synnex Australia, Today Tech, Westan
New Zealand Distributors: VST, Ingram Micro NZ, Synnex NZ
WD, one of the storage industry's pioneers and long-time leaders, provides products and services for people and organizations that collect, manage and use digital information. The company produces reliable, high-performance hard drives that keep users' data accessible and secure from loss. WD applies its storage expertise to consumer products for external, portable and shared storage applications.
WD was founded in 1970. The company's storage products are marketed to leading systems manufacturers, selected resellers and retailers under the Western Digital® and WD brand names. Visit the Investor section of the company's Web site (www.westerndigital.com) to access a variety of financial and investor information.
Latest News Posts
- iPhone 7 explodes, smoke coming out caught on video
- Mass Effect: Andromeda on PC is Origin exclusive
- Nintendo sues company for real life Mario Kart racing
- Horizon Zero Dawn launch trailer, first patches detailed
- Mass Effect Andromeda PC requirements released
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q: Crazy Fast Gaming @ 1080p 240Hz
- Cannot access the BIOS on a laptop
- Extreme6 Z97 and Samsung M.2 EVO 960 setup
- BIOSTAR RACING B250GT5 Unboxing and User Experience
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications