S3 Graphics Showcases GPGPU Functionality with S3FotoPro Image Enhancement Application
S3 Graphics brings memories to life by harnessing the power of GPGPU stream processor units to enliven photos and images
Fremont, California, October 17, 2008 - S3 Graphics, a leading provider of graphics and HD Multimedia technologies, today announced the availability of S3FotoPro, a GPGPU application using the latest programmable architecture powered by the Chrome 400 Series GPUs. Utilizing an array of S3 stream processors, the GPUs can accelerate parallel data workloads and perform work on thousands of concurrent threads to achieve Gigaflops (GFLOPS) of high-throughput computations.
S3FotoPro is an example of a computationally expensive process for image quality improvements that is best achieved on a GPU instead of a CPU due to the S3 stream processor architecture. The algorithm complexity and high calculation requirements required by S3FotoPro enables the parallel workload speedup to be magnitudes (>100x) of times faster than the latest CPUs in the market today. In addition, the GFLOPS-per-Watt and GFLOPS-per-Dollar favor the GPU computational efficiency over standard CPU calculations.
"S3 Graphics continues to develop and bring to market cutting edge technologies that use the power of the GPU to meet new demands in emerging computation-intensive markets. Application processes that required days can now be completed in seconds using a GPGPU product like ours," said Michael Shiuan, VP of Hardware Engineering at S3 Graphics. "With support for the latest GPGPU applications and languages, S3FotoPro provides a highly useful and versatile tool for end-users and our partners."
"Markets that can benefit from S3 Graphics GPGPU technology include High-Performance Computing (HPC), HD video transcoding/encoding, scientific, engineering, medical, imaging, physics, and many other areas," said Dr. Ken Weng, GM for S3 Graphics. "The potential and opportunities to leverage this novel technology are just starting to open up and the full potential has yet to be realized."
For more details about this exciting new technology from S3 Graphics, please visit the website at: http://www.s3graphics.com/en/technology/gpgpu/ or download the application at:
S3FotoPro uses a proprietary and complex smart-image algorithm to analyze and automatically adjust macro and micro details within a picture to enhance the picture quality. The application calls on the power of the S3 Graphics GPGPU to perform the transformations and adjustments needed to beautify the image. Available picture enhancements include: Color clarity and correction, de-fogging, skin smoothing, gradient blending, saturation and tonal balance adjustments and optimizations, and many more improvements.
About S3 Graphics
S3 Graphics is a leading provider of innovative graphics visualization technologies for the notebook and desktop markets. As a quality supplier to the OEM and retail markets, S3 Graphics powers consumer, corporate and multimedia platforms to bring best-in-class energy efficiency, graphics/video performance, and visual features to the user. Our long-term commitment to customers is to bring reliability, quality, performance and state-of-the-art features to the forefront of PC applications. http://www.s3graphics.com
Latest News Posts
- New 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2' trailer actually looks kinda fun
- Sony developing smart contact lenses with life recording
- Hitman patch lets DirectX 12 users play again
- Apple Music rumored to receive interface overhaul this summer
- Fallout 4's Far Harbor DLC might have underwater exploration
- GA-EX58-UD3R won't post
- Creative iRoar Intelligent Bluetooth Speaker Review
- x5450 on ep43-s3l overclock help
- Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming-5P | Intermittent Boot Failure & USB Crashes in Windows 10
- LaCie P9227 Porsche Design Mobile Drive 4TB USB C Review
- Colorful to showcase new products at COMPUTEX 2016
- Global e-channel expanded by 23% in Q1-2016 according to Icecat
- The PGL KeSPA Regional Minor Championship: Asia to debut this Thursday; full schedule revealed
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience