AMD Appoints Donald Newell as Server Chief Technology Officer
AMD today announced the appointment of Donald Newell as vice president and Chief Technology Officer (CTO), Server. A distinguished engineer with more than 20 patents filed, Newell previously served as a senior principle engineer leading the System-on-Chip (SoC) and datacenter networking architecture groups within Intel Labs before joining AMD to lead its server roadmap and platform design programs.
As AMD Server CTO, Newell is responsible for the concept and definition of AMD's long-term server roadmap based on current conditions, expected demand and long-term server trends. He is leading multiple worldwide teams and working alongside other AMD design and development teams to ensure successful transition of programs from design to market availability. Newell reports to Rick Bergman, senior vice president and general manager, AMD Products Group.
"Don Newell brings a strong combination of leadership skills, engineering and design expertise, and strategic direction," said Bergman. "We're fortunate to have Don on board as we prepare for the delivery of the 'Bulldozer' core in our AMD Opteron processors, scheduled for launch in 2011."
During his 16 years with Intel, Newell led development of both SoC and server platform architecture innovations for areas ranging from cloud computing to hand-held devices. Newell also initiated and drove the I/O Acceleration Technologies (IOAT) from initial research to product intercept, developed a detailed architecture for heterogeneous computing and was responsible for delivering the PC industry's first Digital TV receiver. He led his team to publish seminal papers on areas such as Cache QoS and network protocol processing. Newell has been published in more than 60 peer-reviewed research journals and publications and is a co-author of the IETF RFC2429 that specifies how video is transported over the Internet. Prior to joining Intel, he was a software engineer for first Datanex Software and later Sequent Computers. Newell received a Bachelors of Science from the University of Oregon.
Latest News Posts
- Slightly Mad Studios says that Project Cars 'loves' DirectX 12
- Internet playboy celebrity called out - Dan Bilzerian shares morals
- ASUS set to unveil a new Android tablet line called ZenPad at Computex
- Naughty Dog rumored to soon unveil Uncharted Remastered for the PS4
- Colorful is aiming to become second largest GPU vendor
- DVD drive seen in Windows 8.1 but not in BIOS
- ID-Cooling SE 214X CPU Cooler Review
- Upgrade M8
- Team Group Vulcan DDR4-3000 16GB Quad-Channel Memory Kit Review
- YUMI USB Stick doesnt´t boot correctly on H81M-HDS
- CoolIT Systems Successfully Deploys Liquid-Cooled Solution to Poznan Supercomputing & Networking Center in Partnership with Huawei and Itprojekt
- Technology Business Research joins executive roundtable addressing the business impact of data analysis
- Silicon Power Is Holding the 2015 Annual Exhibition in June
- Transcend to Showcase Car Video Recorders, Body Camera and Industrial Solutions at COMPUTEX TAIPEI 2015
- AccelStor Debuting All-Flash Arrays with 1M+ IOPS at Computex 2015