AMD Appoints Donald Newell as Server Chief Technology Officer
AMD today announced the appointment of Donald Newell as vice president and Chief Technology Officer (CTO), Server. A distinguished engineer with more than 20 patents filed, Newell previously served as a senior principle engineer leading the System-on-Chip (SoC) and datacenter networking architecture groups within Intel Labs before joining AMD to lead its server roadmap and platform design programs.
As AMD Server CTO, Newell is responsible for the concept and definition of AMD's long-term server roadmap based on current conditions, expected demand and long-term server trends. He is leading multiple worldwide teams and working alongside other AMD design and development teams to ensure successful transition of programs from design to market availability. Newell reports to Rick Bergman, senior vice president and general manager, AMD Products Group.
"Don Newell brings a strong combination of leadership skills, engineering and design expertise, and strategic direction," said Bergman. "We're fortunate to have Don on board as we prepare for the delivery of the 'Bulldozer' core in our AMD Opteron processors, scheduled for launch in 2011."
During his 16 years with Intel, Newell led development of both SoC and server platform architecture innovations for areas ranging from cloud computing to hand-held devices. Newell also initiated and drove the I/O Acceleration Technologies (IOAT) from initial research to product intercept, developed a detailed architecture for heterogeneous computing and was responsible for delivering the PC industry's first Digital TV receiver. He led his team to publish seminal papers on areas such as Cache QoS and network protocol processing. Newell has been published in more than 60 peer-reviewed research journals and publications and is a co-author of the IETF RFC2429 that specifies how video is transported over the Internet. Prior to joining Intel, he was a software engineer for first Datanex Software and later Sequent Computers. Newell received a Bachelors of Science from the University of Oregon.
Latest News Posts
- Restricted 'Ted 2' red band trailer brings the laughs
- AOL CEO: AOL-Yahoo merger just a 'dead notion' at this point
- Drones will be used by London police to monitor airports
- Apple Pay will begin supporting Discover credit cards this fall
- ESPN Radio host says he would quit if asked to cover eSports
- Strontium Nitro Plus 64GB OTG Pen Drive for Android Review
- ASUS RS520-E8-RS8 Barebones Server Review
- Bios f7 z97-ud5h-bk
- Spam report
- Gigabyte EP45-DS3P + Xeon 5450 overclock help please
- Eurocom Launches 13.3-inch M4 Ultraportable
- Cryorig Announces the H5 Ultimate CPU Cooler
- PNY Announces the HP x755w USB 3.0 Flash Drive
- GeIL Announces Super Luce DDR4 Enthusiast Memory Series
- X2 Introduces the ISOLATIC Chassis