TweakTown
Tech content trusted by users in North America and around the world
6,010 Reviews & Articles | 38,770 News Posts
TRENDING NOW: Windows 9 logo teased, with Microsoft's next OS 'coming soon'

Oracle chief Larry Ellison buys Hawaiian island, price between $500-600m

Larry Ellison to purchase 98% of a Hawaiian island for $500-600m

| Current Affairs News | Posted: Jun 21, 2012 11:39 pm

If you're wondering what to do when you're worth $36 billion, take a look at Larry Ellison for ideas. The co-founder of Oracle is listed as the sixth richest man on Forbe's list of global billionaires and seems as though he knows how to live life to the fullest. Err, at least spend money to the fullest.

 

TweakTown image news/2/4/24655_1_oracle_chief_larry_ellison_buys_hawaiian_island_price_between_500_600m.png

 

The Hawaiian governor has announced that Larry Ellison is buying 98% of Lanai, one of the Hawaiian islands. The final price is not known, but the asking price is said to have been somewhere between $500 and $600 million. The island is 141 square miles and is currently owned by David Murdock. Lanai is also known as "Pineapple Island" as it was formerly a pineapple plantation.

 

It's not exactly clear why Mr. Ellison wants the island as it currently has 3,200 residents and several luxury resorts. The current company running the resorts and power, water, and other utilities is losing somewhere around $40 million a year. The remaining 2% is not owned by the same company who sold the other 98%.

 

Confiming the successful bid, Hawaii Governor Neil Abercrombie said on Wednesday: "It is my understanding that Mr Ellison has had a long standing interest in Lanai. He is also a businessman whose record of community involvement in medical research and education causes is equally notable. We look forward to welcoming Mr Ellison in the near future."

NEWS SOURCES:Bbc.co.uk

Related Tags

Further Reading: Read and find more Current Affairs news at our Current Affairs news index page.

Do you get our news RSS feed? Get It!

Got an opinion on this news? Post a comment below!

Latest Tech News Posts

View More News Posts
Check out TweakTown Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome

Forum Activity

View More Forum Posts

Press Releases

View More Press Releases