Marvell have just announced their third-generation SSD which has gone into mass deployment, the Marvel 88SS9187 SATA controller is powered by high-performance embedded processor technology and sports a 6Gbps SATA III interface.
Marvell have said that a number of high-profile SSD manufacturers are set to deploy Marvell's 88SS9187 controller immediately, with more partners to jump on board over time. Marvell's latest and greatest technology offers an open, world-class architecture that supports industry-standard, high-speed NAND flash interface with up to 200MB/sec per channel.
The new Marvell 88SS9187 controller also offers something new, a ground-breaking correction capability thanks to its high-performance ECC engine with Adaptive Read and Write Scheme and on-chip RAID functionality to allow use of the latest generation of NAND flash devices in the fast-growing SSD markets.
Alan Armstrong, vice president of Marketing for the Storage Business Group at Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. has said:
We continue to drive market-leading innovation in our SATA technology products, as seen with today's launch of the 88SS9187 SATA controller powered by high performance embedded processor technology. The best-in-class, open architecture of the device allows SSD manufacturers to fully customize their products to meet specific customer demands and distinguish their products based on price, performance, power and functionality. Marvell is thrilled to be leading the industry with our advanced SSD acceleration technology, which is enabling our partners to take their products to the next level.
Another great benefit of this new technology is that it delivers lower costs and greater power efficiency. Marvell's 88SS9187 controller features the industry's lowest active and stand-by power consumption rates at this performance level, meeting the requirements of the growing demand of the Ultrabook market. More features on Marvell's 88SS9187:
• Supports on-chip RAID technology for the NAND device with flexible customer firmware based algorithm to optimize retiring of defective NAND block, plane, die or device.
• Supports high-speed DDR3 DRAM interface with support for up to 1 G byte memory that permits customer to implement highly performance optimized mapping algorithms.
• Maximum sequential read performance for a SATA 6G device.
• ~500MB/s of sequential write performance even at dirty drive conditions.
• Best-in-class Random Read and Write IOPS with minimum over-provisioning and minimal performance degradation.