Working with the camera
Now that the Raspberry Pi is finished rebooting, you can login and we can begin taking some video and snapshots using basic commands. Later in this article I will show you how to string together some of these commands to create a time-lapse photography setup that is quite energy efficient and should provide 12 hours of use.
Below is a list of the terminal commands that control the basic functionality of the Camera Module.
raspivid Camera App v1.1
Display camera output to display, and optionally saves an H264 capture at requested bitrate.
Usage: raspivid [options]
Image parameter commands
- -?, --help : This help information
- -w, --width : Set image width . Default 1920
- -h, --height : Set image height . Default 1080
- -b, --bitrate : Set bitrate. Use bits per second (e.g. 10MBits/s would be -b 10000000)
- -o, --output : Output filename (to write to stdout, use '-o -')
- -v, --verbose : Output verbose information during run
- -t, --timeout : Time (in ms) to capture for. If not specified, set to 5s. Zero to disable
- -d, --demo : Run a demo mode (cycle through range of camera options, no capture)
- -fps, --framerate : Specify the frames per second to record
- -e, --penc : Display preview image *after* encoding (shows compression artifacts)
- -g, --intra : Specify the intra refresh period (key frame rate/GoP size)
- -p, --preview : Preview window settings
- -f, --fullscreen : Fullscreen preview mode
- -op, --opacity : Preview window opacity (0-255)
- -n, --nopreview : Do not display a preview window
- -sh, --sharpness : Set image sharpness (-100 to 100)
- -co, --contrast : Set image contrast (-100 to 100)
- -br, --brightness : Set image brightness (0 to 100)
- -sa, --saturation : Set image saturation (-100 to 100)
- -ISO, --ISO : Set capture ISO
- -vs, --vstab : Turn on video stablisation
- -ev, --ev : Set EV compensation
- -ex, --exposure : Set exposure mode (see Notes)
- -awb, --awb : Set AWB mode (see Notes)
- -ifx, --imxfx : Set image effect (see Notes)
- -cfx, --colfx : Set colour effect (U:V)
- -mm, --metering : Set metering mode (see Notes)
- -rot, --rotation : Set image rotation (0-359)
- -hf, --hflip : Set horizontal flip
- -vf, --vflip : Set vertical flip
Preview parameter commands
Image parameter commands
Exposure mode options: off,auto,night,nightpreview,backlight,spotlight,sports,snow,beach,verylong,fixedfps,antishake,fireworks
AWB mode options: off,auto,sun,cloud,shade,tungsten,fluorescent,incandescent,flash,horizon
Image Effect mode options: none,negative,solarise,sketch,denoise,emboss,oilpaint,hatch,gpen,pastel,watercolour,film,blur,saturation,colourswap,washedout,posterise,colourpoint,colourbalance,cartoon
Metering Mode options: average,spot,backlit,matrix
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Features and Specifications]
- Page 2 [Getting things up and running]
- Page 3 [Working with the camera]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Star Citizen's social module launches alongside v1.2 patch
- Razer launches new Nabu smartband wearable during PAX Prime
- Xbox One Mini isn't real, says Phil Spencer
- Marvel Studios founder to bring Borderlands to the big screen
- ASUS starts teasing the ROG MATRIX video cards are on their way
- Adam Elements iKlips iOS Lightning / USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20