Working with the camera
Now that the Raspberry Pi is finished rebooting, you can login and we can begin taking some video and snapshots using basic commands. Later in this article I will show you how to string together some of these commands to create a time-lapse photography setup that is quite energy efficient and should provide 12 hours of use.
Below is a list of the terminal commands that control the basic functionality of the Camera Module.
raspivid Camera App v1.1
Display camera output to display, and optionally saves an H264 capture at requested bitrate.
Usage: raspivid [options]
Image parameter commands
- -?, --help : This help information
- -w, --width : Set image width . Default 1920
- -h, --height : Set image height . Default 1080
- -b, --bitrate : Set bitrate. Use bits per second (e.g. 10MBits/s would be -b 10000000)
- -o, --output : Output filename (to write to stdout, use '-o -')
- -v, --verbose : Output verbose information during run
- -t, --timeout : Time (in ms) to capture for. If not specified, set to 5s. Zero to disable
- -d, --demo : Run a demo mode (cycle through range of camera options, no capture)
- -fps, --framerate : Specify the frames per second to record
- -e, --penc : Display preview image *after* encoding (shows compression artifacts)
- -g, --intra : Specify the intra refresh period (key frame rate/GoP size)
- -p, --preview : Preview window settings
- -f, --fullscreen : Fullscreen preview mode
- -op, --opacity : Preview window opacity (0-255)
- -n, --nopreview : Do not display a preview window
- -sh, --sharpness : Set image sharpness (-100 to 100)
- -co, --contrast : Set image contrast (-100 to 100)
- -br, --brightness : Set image brightness (0 to 100)
- -sa, --saturation : Set image saturation (-100 to 100)
- -ISO, --ISO : Set capture ISO
- -vs, --vstab : Turn on video stablisation
- -ev, --ev : Set EV compensation
- -ex, --exposure : Set exposure mode (see Notes)
- -awb, --awb : Set AWB mode (see Notes)
- -ifx, --imxfx : Set image effect (see Notes)
- -cfx, --colfx : Set colour effect (U:V)
- -mm, --metering : Set metering mode (see Notes)
- -rot, --rotation : Set image rotation (0-359)
- -hf, --hflip : Set horizontal flip
- -vf, --vflip : Set vertical flip
Preview parameter commands
Image parameter commands
Exposure mode options: off,auto,night,nightpreview,backlight,spotlight,sports,snow,beach,verylong,fixedfps,antishake,fireworks
AWB mode options: off,auto,sun,cloud,shade,tungsten,fluorescent,incandescent,flash,horizon
Image Effect mode options: none,negative,solarise,sketch,denoise,emboss,oilpaint,hatch,gpen,pastel,watercolour,film,blur,saturation,colourswap,washedout,posterise,colourpoint,colourbalance,cartoon
Metering Mode options: average,spot,backlit,matrix
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Features and Specifications]
- Page 2 [Getting things up and running]
- Page 3 [Working with the camera]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Xbox wants to be the best place for devs to make money
- Amazon Prime now required for new Twitch subscriptions
- NVIDIA shows how awesome Gears of War 4 looks in DX12
- Ubisoft says Nintendo will be 'back in the race' with NX
- Amazon developing sports game, sandbox MMO, survival MMO
- Acer Chromebook R11 Review
- ASRock Z87 EXTREME4 won't restart - debug code 4F
- ASUS X99-Deluxe II Motherboard Review
- U.2 Kit on Taichi
- Z170X-Gaming 5 - Thunderbolt controller + Intel RST drivers issue.
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now