We just finished off checking out the AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB and when I originally wrote the conclusion for it, I wrote it based that the price of the card was going to hit at a similar level to the GTX 780 at $649. Of course, the review continued to sit in my TweakTown folder, while we waited for the official price from AMD. My conclusion was that it was a really good card. At the same price point as the NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB, the decision to buy either one wouldn't be a simple open and shut case.
As I found myself waiting for price, Tuesday morning I was greeted with a message letting me know that official launch price of the model was going to be $549. This really changed everything; and for the better. At the same price as the GTX 780 3GB it was not so black and white what to buy. $100 cheaper, though, with this performance, and all the new features that the R9 series brings, the decision between the two cards just become so much easier. The R9 290X 3GB in my books went from being a great product to being a fantastic one.
This product really causes a little bit of a mess for NVIDIA as well. Dropping the price of the GTX 780 3GB $100 to match the card begins to cause this uneven domino effect where the price between models become awkward. It will be really interesting to see what NVIDIA do in the coming weeks. We know that the GTX 780 Ti is coming from them, and while performance is going to be important, it feels that pricing is going to play such a bigger part.
With that said, let's move on to exactly what we're doing today. We're getting into the overclocking side of things. So far this isn't something we've been able to do with the new AMD R Series cards. We're glad to finally see what comes out of the model today, as in our original review, the R9 280X 4GB was compared to quite a heavily overclocked MSI GTX 780 3GB Lightning.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 20 [Temperature Test]
- Page 21 [Sound Test]
- Page 22 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 23 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Rocket League patch will let you filter out PS4 users on the PC
- BBC's Grand Theft Auto TV movie 'The Gamechangers' trailer arrives
- Amnesia creators show off the latest trailer to SOMA, arrives Sep 22
- Apple's upcoming 21.5-inch iMac should feature a 4K display
- ASUS unveils a new super-powered gaming notebook that is watercooled
- Windows 10 Pro 64bit on GA990FXA-UD3 R5 advice for USB3 problem
- Seagate Game Drive 2TB Xbox STEA2000403 Add-on Storage Device Review
- How can you find updated drivers like people post to this site all the time?
- Are these the same?
- Really Need help with Asmedia SATA Bios/Drivers settings
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015