The other day we checked out the MSI HD 7970 Lightning 3GB and in typical MSI Lightning fashion we found ourselves really impressed with what was on offer. Strong overclocking performance, a good out of the box overclock, awesome cooler and just a huge amount of features make it a stand out video card.
We figured what's better than a single HD 7970 Lightning 3GB overclocked, though? Two MSI HD 7970 Lighting 3GB video cards overclocked and in CrossFire mode! So that's exactly what we did - we organized another MSI HD 7970 Lightning 3GB, paired it with the one we had and then proceeded to overclock them both in CrossFire. Much fun prevailed, of course.
Because we've already looked at the video cards we're using in more detail in our original review, we don't need to cover it again. Instead for a more detail look check out the original review we just linked above.
Instead, we'll get into the good stuff pretty quickly today as we know that is all you want to see. On the next page we'll check out our Test System Setup and cover the video cards we'll be using in our comparison today. On the same page we'll also check out the overclocking ability of the setup. CrossFire always brings a slight hit in overclocking ability and we'll find out just how moving to the two card setup affects our maximum overclock today.
Once we've done that then we'll just get into the performance side of things to see how this CrossFire setup compared to other single card setup and CrossFire ones. So with all that said, let's get into the test system setup and the overclocking side of things to see just how we went.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 17 [Final Thoughts]
Further Reading: Read and find more Video Cards content at our Video Cards reviews, guides and articles index page.
Do you get our RSS feed? Get It!
Latest News Posts
- NPD: Mobile gaming grew 20 percent in 2014, creating opportunities
- Intel to reclassify Atom processors with Atom x3, Atom x5 and Atom x7
- LG's unveils Watch Urbane LTE, lets you make calls from your wrist
- Corporate leaders are aware of IoT, but aren't really prepared for it
- Companies transitioning to better detection, response of cyberattacks
- Intermittent hardware problem: CLR CMOS - Dr. Debug 67
- HIS Multi-View HDOCKP USB 3.0 Portable Docking Station Review
- Corsair HX1000i 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Power Supply Review
- need new mother board
- how can i use new power supply for that mother boread asrock g41m-vs3 r2.0
- Charter Communications Says Net Neutrality Will Slow Broadband Growth and Mean Higher Fees
- MSI Announces the AP16 Flex All-in-one Desktop
- Linux gadget with six displays - pixel art idea returns in a new shape
- Toshiba Areal Density Breakthrough Means 3TB 2.5-inch Notebook Hard Drives Possible
- Tesoro Launches Gungnir Black Optical Gaming Mouse